Externships will be happening April 24-May 5, 2017.
What are Externships?
Externships are experiential learning opportunities, generally offered by educational institutions to give students short practical experiences in their field of study. An externship is designed to provide students with an opportunity to enter the workforce in a condensed period of time, to allow for networking, career exposure and exploration.
Externship placements are unpaid and non-credit volunteer experiences. Students will not receive reimbursements for travel expenses.
How do students benefit?
Are you interested in a particular industry, but unsure of how to go about finding out if it's for you? Externships allow students to receive a practical experience of the day-to-day activities of a position that is of interest to them. In addition, the experience allows for students to apply their in-class knowledge to real life situations and bring that hands-on experience back to the classroom with an improved perspective on their studies. The Externships Program can be added to their Co-Curricular Record (CCR).
Applicants must be currently enrolled in a post-secondary program at Memorial University prior to their Externship. An online registration form must be completed and submitted with a resume attached.
- Once matched, students would commit to the 2 week placement,unless there is a violation of Terms and Conditions
- Students will be required to participate in a mandatory pre- and post- reflection session to evaluate the expectations and knowledge gained from students' placements.
How to Apply:
Students can apply for Externship opportunities by viewing the Extern job postings on My.mun.ca and submitting their application package. An application package includes:
- Application Form
- Letter of interest (Questions can be found on application)
How to view Externship opportunities:
1) Go to my.mun.ca and login
2) Click "Student" or "Alumni" link near the top of the page.
3) Click "My MUNLife" in the "Student Services" or "My MUNLife" box.
4) Click on "Career" & then you can click on “Externships”
Tips for Having a great Externship:
- Research the organization before you begin your Externship.
- Keep an open mind at all times.
- Be actively engaged and ask questions during the assignment.
- Ask for contact information from your sponsor when you finish your Externship.
If you have any questions, please contact email@example.com