Assistant Professor, Canada Research Chair in Ocean Mapping
School of Ocean Technology
Fisheries and Marine Institute
Memorial University of Newfoundland
P.O. Box 4920
St. John's, NL
Canada A1C 5R3
Tel: (709) 778-0648
Ph.D. Ocean and Earth Science, University of Southampton (2014)
M.Sc. Biology, University of Victoria (2011)
B.Sc. Natural Resource Science, McGill University (2008)
• Seafloor and Habitat Mapping
• Geospatial Statistic
• Deep-Sea Ecology and Mapping
My research focuses on mapping the spatial complexity of the ocean from the seafloor to the surface. My research lab looks at advancing our understanding of seafloor spatial heterogeneity, distributions of benthic communities, how habitats may respond to different human-induced and natural stressors, and how scale (extent and resolution) affects our ability to detect and monitor change. We employ a range of technologies (AUVs, ROVs, sonars, photogrammetry) to provide high-resolution maps from which quantitative insights regarding resource location, infrastructure condition, geological hazards, local oceanographic processes or effectiveness of conservation measures can be drawn. The goal is to create an integrated picture of our oceans which will allow us to understand the relationships between habitats, resources, human activities and changing conditions.
Selected Recent Publications
- Ismail K, Huvenne VAI and Robert K (in press). Quantifying Spatial Heterogeneity in Submarine Canyons. Progress in Oceanography. PROOCE_2017_210
- Victorero L, Robert K, Robinson LF, Taylor ML and Huvenne VAI (2018). Species replacement dominates megabenthos beta diversity in a remote seamount setting. Scientific Reports. 8: 4152.
- Lo Iacono C, Robert K, Gonzalez-Villanueva R, Gori A, Gili J-M and Orejas C. (2018). Multi-scale Ensemble Maps predicting cold-water coral distribution in the Cap de Creus Canyon (NW Mediterranean): implications for marine conservation planning. Progress in Oceanography. PROOCE_2017_204
- Robert K, Huvenne VAI, Georgiopoulou A, Jones DOB, Marsh L, Carter G and Chaumillon L (2017). New approaches to high-resolution mapping of marine vertical structures. Scientific Reports. 7(1): 9005.
- De Clippele LH, Gafeira J, Robert K, Hennige S, Lavaleye MS, Duineveld GCA, Huvenne VAI and Roberts JM (2017). Using novel acoustic and visual mapping tools to predict the small scale spatial distribution of live biogenic reef framework in cold-water coral habitats. Coral Reefs. 36(1): 255--268.
- Morris KJ, Bett BJ, Durden JM, Benoist NMA, Huvenne VAI, Jones DOB, Robert K, Ichino MC, Wolff GA and Ruhl HA (2016). Landscape-scale spatial heterogeneity in phytodetrital cover and megafauna biomass in the abyss links to modest topographic variation. Scientific reports. 6: 34080.
- Robert K, Jones DOB, Roberts JM and Huvenne V AI. (2016). Improving predictive mapping of deep-water habitats: Considering multiple model outputs and ensemble techniques. Deep Sea Research Part I: Oceanographic Research Papers. 113: 80--89.
- Milligan RJ, Morris KJ, Bett BJ, Durden JM, Jones DOB, Robert K, Ruhl HA and Bailey DM (2016). High resolution study of the spatial distributions of abyssal fishes by autonomous underwater vehicle. Scientific reports. 6: 26095.
- Amaro T, Huvenne VAI, Allcock AL, Aslam T, Davies JS, Danovaro R, De Stigter HC, Duineveld GCA, Gambi C, Gooday AJ, Gunton LM, Hall R, Howell KL, Ingels J, Kiriakoulakis K, Kershaw CE, Lavaleye MSS, Robert K, Stewart H, Van Rooij D, White M, Wilson AM (2016). The Whittard Canyon - A case study of submarine canyon processes. Progress in Oceanography. 146: 38--57.