Department of Geography
Memorial University of Newfoundland
St. John's, NL
Tel: (709) 864-7912
Fax: (709) 864-3119
Globalization, Economy & Resources
Sustainable Communities & Regions
Climate & Environmental Change
My research is primarily situated in the science-policy interface, and focused on understanding the dynamics between social, economic, and environmental dimensions in sustainable development. This focus takes form in the following ways: 1) assessing cumulative anthropogenic impacts on the environment and understanding the consequences to people; 2) determine priority policy actions and plans to achieve specific sustainable development objectives (particularly the Sustainable Development Goals); 3) understand risk and uncertainty in sustainability policy and management. Doing work in any one of these areas means navigating data gaps, and I use a combination of quantitative and qualitative approaches, as well as structured expert elicitation, in my research.
Nippon Foundation Nereus Program fellow (2016-2019), University of British Columbia and University of Washington
PhD (2016), University of British Columbia
MSc (2011), University of British Columbia
BSc (2008) University of Alberta
Selected Policy Reports:
Lucks, D., Burgass, M., Beauchamp, E., Lynn, I., Piergallini, I., Best, B., Bukoree, R., Chanda, T., D’Errico, S., Diadhiou, H.D., Donato-Hunt, C., Faye, L.C., Rletcher, R., Galvaign, G., Griffin, H., Kane, R., Islam, M., Leotau, N., Lowndes, J.S., Merayo, E., Mohammed, E., Ngoc, K.T.T., Poudyal, Y.R., Pratap, A., Seye, E.H.B., Singh, G.G., Zelasney, J. 2019. MEL Hanbook for SDG 14: Conserve and sustainably use the oceans, seas and marine resources for sustainable development. International Institute for Environment and Development. 118 pp.
Ofir, Z., Singh, G.G., Beauchamp, E., Lucks, D., D’Errico, S., El-Saddick, K. 2019. From monitoring goals to system-informed evaluation: insights from SDG14. IIED Briefing. International Institute for Environment and Development. 4 pp.
Warner, R., Wright, G., Turner, P., Crespo, G., Dunn, D., Singh, G.G. 2018. Strategic Environmental Assessment (SEA). Envisioning its Application to Marine Areas Beyond National Jurisdiction (ABNJ). Deep-Ocean Stewardship Initiative Policy Brief. 4 pp.
Singh, G.G., Cisneros-Montemayor, A., Cheung, W., Ota, Y. 2017. Oceans and Sustainable Development Goals: Co-Benefits, Climate Change, and Social Equity. Nereus Program Annual Report. 27 pp.
Selected Scholarly publications:
For a more complete list please visit my Google Scholar page.
- Singh, G. G., Farjalla, V.F., Chen, B., Pelling, A. E., Ceyhan, E., Dominik, M., Alisic, E., Kerr, J., Selin, N. E., Bassioni, G., Bennett, E., Kemp, A. H., Chan, K. M.. 2019. "Researcher engagement in policy deemed societally beneficial yet unrewarded." Frontiers in Ecology and the Environment 0(0).
- Singh, G.G., Hilmi, N., Bernhardt, J., Cisneros-Montemayor, A., Cashion, M., Ota, Y., Acar, S., Brown, J., Cottrell, R., Djoundourian, S., González -Espinosa, P., Lam, V., Marshall, N., Neumann, B., Pascal, N., Reygondeau, G., Rocklӧv, J., Safa, A., Virto, L.R., Cheung, W. 2019. Climate impacts on the ocean are making the Sustainable Development Goals a moving target traveling away from us. People & Nature.
- Spijkers, J., Singh, G.G., Blasiak, R., Morrison, T., Österblum, H. Global patterns of fisheries conflict: forty years of data. Global Environmental Change 57: 101921.
- Clarke Murray, C., Wong, J., Singh, G.G., Mach, M., Lerner, J., Ranieri, B., Peterson St-Laurent, Guimaraes, A., Chan, K.M.A. 2018. The insignificance of thresholds in environmental impact assessments: an illustrative case study in Canada. Environmental Management 61: 1062-1071.
- Tam, J., Chan, K.M.A., Satterfield, T., Singh, G.G., Gelcich, S. 2018. Gone fishing? Intergenerational cultural shifts can undermine common property co-managed fisheries. Marine Policy 90:1-5
- Cisneros-Montemayor, A.M., Singh, G.G., Cheung, W. 2018. A fuzzy logic expert system for evaluating policy progress towards sustainability goals. Ambio 47: 595-607.
- Singh, G.G., Cisneros-Montemayor, A.M., Swartz, W., Cheung, W., Guy, J.A., Kenny, T.A., McOwen, C.J., Asch, R., Geffert, J.L., Wabnitz, C.C.C., Sumaila, R., Hanich, Q., Ota, Y. 2018. A rapid assessment of co-benefits and trade-offs among Sustainable Development Goals. Marine Policy 93: 223-231.
- Chapman, M., Klassen, S., Kreitzman, M., Semmelink, A., Sharp, K., Singh, G.G., Chan, K.M.A. 2017. 5 key challenges and solutions for governing complex adaptive (food) systems. Sustainability 9: 1594.
- Singh, G.G., Sinner, J., Ellis, J., Kandlikar, M., Chan, K.M.A. 2017. Mechanisms and risk of cumulative impacts to ecosystem services: an expert elicitation approach. Journal of Environmental Management 199: 229-241.
- Singh, G.G., Sinner, J., Ellis, J., Kandlikar, M., Chan, K.M.A. 2017. Group elicitations yield more consistent, yet more uncertain experts in understanding risks to ecosystem services in New Zealand bays. PLOS ONE 12: e0182233.
- Clarke Murray, C., Mach, M.E., Martone, R.G., Singh, G.G., O, M., Chan, K.M.A. 2016. Supporting risk assessment: accounting for indirect risk to ecosystem components. PLOS ONE 11: e0162932. doi:10.1371/journal.pone.0162932.