- When a bomb threat is received by telephone, initiate action to trace the call. See Bomb Threat Guidelines.
- Notify Campus Enforcement and Patrol (St. John's 709-864-4100, Grenfell 709-637-2888) immediately, giving as many details as possible.
- If a threat is received in writing, notify CEP immediately and turn over the document to them. Handle the document as little as possible as it may be useful in an investigation.
- Do not touch any suspected item. Should a suspected item be located, notify CEP immediately.
- CEP will initiate action in accordance with established procedures.
- CEP, in consultation with external police forces, will search and/or evacuate applicable areas as deemed necessary.
If advised to evacuate:
- If advised to evacuate, either by the sound of the fire alarm in the building or by CEP personnel, remain calm. Do as directed - do not waste time. If it can be done without undue delay, take outdoor clothing, handbag, briefcase, etc. with you.
- Evacuate by the nearest accessible exit. Keep clear of the building.
- Go to the nearest assembly point unless advised otherwise. Instructions regarding returning to the building or other information will be given as soon as possible.
- The University has a bomb threat plan, and personnel have been trained to cope with the situation.