Ronald SchwartzProfessor (Ph.D. University of Toronto)
Sociological Specialties/Areas of Interest
- Social theory
- Social studies of science and technology
- Asian society and politics
- Contemporary Tibet and China
Dr. Schwartz has done fieldwork with Tibetans living in India and the Tibetan Autonomous Region of China. He is currently involved in projects investigating aspects of modernity in Tibet and the formation and role of leadership in the administration of the Tibetan Autonomous Region. He is the author of a number of articles on contemporary Tibetan society. Currently Dr. Schwartz teaches courses on social theory and technology and society.
- Tibetan Modernities. Leiden: Brill Academic Publishers. (Co-editor)
- Circle of Protest: Political Ritual in the Tibetan Uprising. New York: Columbia University Press. (Author)
- "Travellers under Fire: Tourists in the Tibetan Uprising," Annals of Tourism Research, Vol. 18.
- "Renewal and Resistance: Tibetan Buddhism in the Modern Era." In Ian Harris (Ed.) Buddhism and Politics in Twentieth-century Asia.