Marilyn PorterProfessor (Ph.D. University of Bristol)
Personal Website http://www.ucs.mun.ca/~mporter/
Sociological Specialties/Areas of Interest
- Women and development
- Women in Muslim cultures
- Feminist theory and methods
- Narratives and oral history
- Political economy of maritime communities
Dr. Porter taught at Manchester University before coming to Newfoundland in 1980. She is the author of Home, Work and Class Consciousness and the volume Place and Persistence. Many of her articles have been reprinted in various collections and textbooks. She has been the editor of two journals, Atlantis: A Women's Studies Journal and the Canadian Review of Sociology and Anthropology. She is also a co-editor of five books. Dr. Porter coordinates the Feminist Journals Network, an international network of Women's Studies journals from 18 countries. She is a past President of two national associations, the Canadian Sociology and Anthropology Association as well as the Canadian Research Institute for the Advancement of Women. Her current projects include an interdisciplinary narrative study, Women's Experience of Reproductive Health in Pakistan and Indonesia: A Comparative Life Story Project and the research project Recent Immigrant Women in Newfoundland and Labrador: Problems and Perspectives. Dr. Porter is also a team member of two international projects Sustaining Coastal Fishing Communities in Tanzania, and Community-based Management of Aquatic Resources for Food and Income in Kenya. She is presently a University Research Professor.
- Feminists Doing Development: A Practical Critique. London: Zed Press. (Co-editor)
- Their Lives and Times - Women in Newfoundland and Labrador: A Collage. St. John's: Killick Press. (Co-editor)
- Place and Persistence in the Lives of Newfoundland Women. Aldershot: Avebury. (Author)
- Home, Work and Class Consciousness. Manchester, UK: Manchester University Press. (Author)
- "Feminism is a Good Woman: Reflections on the Use of Ideas in the Women's Movement in Indonesia," Asian Journal of Women's Studies, Vol. 9.