Request for Correction of Personal Information

Informal Approach

If you believe that information about you contained in a Memorial University record is inaccurate, contact the office having custody and control of the record and request to have it corrected. You may be asked to provide proof of your identity and evidence that the information in the record is inaccurate.

Formal Approach

If the informal approach is unsuccessful, you may file a formal request by completing a Correction of Personal Information Request application form and submitting it to or telephone 709-864-8753.

Privacy Complaint Form

If you believe that your personal information has been breached in any way, please fill out a Privacy Complaint Form and send it to the IAP Office at Our office will contact you regarding your complaint and work towards a resolution.

Privacy Breach Reporting

A privacy breach occurs when there is unauthorized access to or collection, use, disclosure or disposal of personal information. Such activity is "unauthorized" if it occurs in contravention of the ATIPPA, 2015 or other applicable privacy legislation.  Examples of a privacy breach are personal information becoming lost or stolen and personal information mistakenly emailed to the wrong person.

The Privacy Policy has several procedures, including the procedure for Managing a Privacy Breach.  

It is our duty as Memorial University employees to report privacy breaches. To report a breach, contact:

Rosemary Thorne, CIPP/C
University Access and Privacy Advisor
Memorial University of Newfoundland
Spencer Hall, Room SP-4018
St. John's, NL A1C 5S7
Phone: (709) 864-8214


Information Access and Privacy

230 Elizabeth Ave, St. John's, NL, CANADA, A1B 3X9

Postal Address: P.O. Box 4200, St. John's, NL, CANADA, A1C 5S7

Tel: (709) 864-8000