Luminus Call for Submissions
As we sculpt the pages of the next issue of Luminus magazine, we'd like to hear from you!
In this issue, we're celebrating change-makers.
From Helen McGrath, our very first graduate from the Class of 1926, to modern day entrepreneurs such as the Verafin trio, Memorial University has sprouted work that is making a lasting impact and a better world.
We want to bring the world’s most pressing issues to our pages, and tell the stories of how Memorial’s people and teams are working to build a brighter future.
We’re seeking untold stories from unsung heroes, and that’s where we're hoping you, our alumni, can help!
We want to know about the quiet contributors in your networks and communities who may not have received a prestigious award, or been written about in a national or international publication (or any publication at all, besides their high school yearbook!).
But no less, change would not occur without all of the people who do a little to help a big problem. These people are equally important in contributing to worldwide issues, one step at a time, whether it's your next door neighbour in Newfoundland and Labrador, or a former classmate or colleague living on the other side of the world.
Who are we looking for?
Maybe your unsung hero:
- started a community garden that began as just one plot of land and has grown into 20 or 30 beds, now maintained by most of the people in town.
- organized a tree planting event, turning a rundown playground into a future apple and pear orchard.
- offered music lessons to a place that didn’t have any, and in the process, changed a particular student’s life.
- became a dedicated volunteer, maintaining the East Coast Trail, Heritage Trail, or any other trail system across Newfoundland and Labrador.
- taught their child’s class how to code.
- promoted mental health and a sense of belonging amongst troubled youth by creating a music program
- goes above and beyond for a charity or charities of choice
Humble heroes are everywhere, pleased to contribute without acknowledgement or acclaim, motivated by love and care for other living beings and for the world. No matter how big or small the endeavour, each initiative plays an important role in tackling a major global issue.
We’re talking about issues such as:
- Food security
- Climate change and the environment
- Ocean health
- The future of democracy
- Global security
- Healthcare and mental healthcare
- Diversity and inclusion
- And more!
Please note: our readers are not only alumni. Luminus connects Memorial’s entire community, from students to alumni to donors to the broader community, from the ages of 25 - 95. We want to inspire action and positive change. We won’t be able to use all submissions, so please make it very clear why you think the person you’re suggesting is making a true and meaningful difference.
Have a story idea for consideration?
Please include a short paragraph that answers, first and foremost, "why will readers care about this story?"
Submissions must have a connection to Memorial, and should be sent to Heidi Wicks (managing editor) at email@example.com no later than Dec. 20, 2022.