Graduate students who are fulfilling or have fulfilled all academic requirements (including final submission of a graduate thesis, where applicable) for their programs are strongly encouraged to apply to graduate in the Spring or Fall Convocation by the deadline date noted in the University Diary.
Please use the following steps to help you with the graduating process:
1. Students may apply to graduate online through Memorial Self-Service under the Graduation section, or refer to the Office of the Registrar website for details. The following application deadlines apply, and applications received after the deadline are processed as time and resources permit: Spring Graduation / Convocation (May): January 15th; and Fall Graduation / Convocation (October) : July 15th
2. If a student intends to attend the Convocation ceremony, he/she must official register for the particular session relevant to his/her degree through Memorial Self-Service. Refer to the Convocation website for information about the ceremony, academic dress, and procedures.
3. If a student does not plan to attend, he/she should note this on Self-Service and update the permanent mailing address is updated so a parchment can be mailed to the student.
4. Graduate students are advised that they are automatically registered for their SUBJ 9000 (MED 9900) and graduate fees are subsequently added to their student accounts each semester (roughly 5 weeks prior to the start of classes for the coming semester). It is possible, then, for a graduate student to be completed their program and momentarily be registered and charged for the upcoming semester until they are academically cleared to graduate.
5. When an academic unit deems a student to have finished a graduate program, a Recommendation for Award of Graduate Diploma/Degree is sent to the School of Graduate Studies. SGS conducts an academic audit and financial audit to ensure academic requirements have been fulfilled, that charges to the student account are accurate, and funding has stopped as of the completion date. Notification is then sent to the Office of the Registrar and Cashier's Office of graduate program completion.
6. Upon completion of a graduate program and final adjustments to registration and fees, graduate students must pay any outstanding balance on their student accounts (through Self-Service or at the Cashier's Office). Graduate students who are still within the duration of their Payment Plan (e.g., 3 semesters for Plan C, 6 semesters for Plan A, 9 semesters for Plan B and Graduate Diploma, or 12 semesters for PhD or PsyD) will be charged the total remaining program fees owing. Graduate students who are beyond the duration of their Payment Plan and charged continuance fees for the upcoming semester may have all, part, or none of those fees and related charges reversed depending on the actual completion date (please refer to the University Diary for a list of relevant program completion deadlines for graduate fees refund).