Public Engagement Accelerator Fund
Winter Round Now Open! (December 1, 2021)
ClOSING DATE EXTENDED TO MONDAY, JANUARY 17, 2022 (end of day).
**PLEASE NOTE: Faculty/department deadlines may be earlier than those posted here. To allow adequate time for required approvals, it is recommended that you consult with the Research Grants and Contracts Services administrator or departmental administrator reagrding departmental deadlines.
Memorial University’s Public Engagement Accelerator Fund is intended to help meet the goals and objectives of Memorial’s Public Engagement Framework by increasing capacity of our faculty, students and staff to collaborate with partners outside the University (i.e., the public).
The fund offers up to $10,000 to support the initiation or extension of public engagement projects that link to Memorial’s academic mission.
If you have any questions about this fund, contact us.
Previous Awardees and Projects
- Pablo Navarro (Faculty of Medicine) and Joshua Smee (Food First NL). Public Forum for a Basic Income in Newfoundland and Labrador.
- Sevtap Savas (Faculty of Medicine) and Farah McCrate (Eastern Health). Public Conference on Cancer.
- Pierre LeBlanc (School of Fine Arts, Grenfell) and Peter Ollerhead (Cycle Solutions). Corner Broken Spoke Bicycle Cooperative.
- Mark Turner (Faculty of Music) and Carol Gear (OKâlaKatiget Society). Strengthening and Renewing the OKâlaKatiget Society’s Radio Service | Sungujuttigiagumallugu, Nutaulittigiagumallugullu OKalaKatiget Society-kut Nallautikut kiiggatunnigiKattajanga.
- Penny Morrill Science Glen Williams NL English School District Stable Isotope Precipitation Sampling in Newfoundland (SIPS NL) Extension.
- Roshni Kollipara (Faculty of Medicine/Biomedical Sciences) and Nancy Nickerson (Kativik Ilisarniliriniq). Hands-On! Northern STEM Outreach.
- Jennifer Donnan (School of Pharmacy) and Taylor Fleming (Canadian Students for Sensible Drug Policy). Empowering community partnerships to modernize Cannabis education for youth in Newfoundland and Labrador (NL).
- Sarah Lewis (Faculty of Education) and Sharon Penney (Retired Teachers Association of NL). A Time! Celebrating a Century of Teacher Education in Newfoundland and Labrador.
- Ivan J White (Indigenous Resource Centre) and Rhonda Sheppard (St. George's Indian Band). Indigenous-led community-learning in Bay St. George.
- Wendy Reid Fairhurst (Interdisciplinary PhD student) and Hillary King (Cohousing NL). The Power of public engagement: Shifting who gets a say in housing development.
- April Pike (Faculty of Nursing) and Jacqueline Limoges (Canadian Nursing and Genomics). Developing Networks and an Engagement Framework to Advance Genetics and Genomics Nursing Practice in Canada.
- Kim Cullen (School of Human Kinetics and Recreation) and Jackie Manuel (NL Construction Safety Association). Mental health can’t be fixed with duct tape: Engagement strategies for mental health awareness and suicide prevention in the construction industry.
- Diane Tye (HSS, Dept of Folklore) and Chris Shortall (Tessier Park Neighbourhood Association). Rethinking Urban Food Production in NL Foodways through Tessier Park's Fruit Forest
- Kyle Pushkarenko (School of Human Kinetics and Recreation) and Nancy Reid (Coalition of Persons with Disabilities). Increasing accessibility to physical activity: A co-created, service delivery plan of action for persons with disabilities in Newfoundland and Labrador.
- Brennan Lowery (Faculty of Business Administration, OFI) and Joan Cranston (Bonne Bay Cottage Hospital Heritage Corporation). PLACE Dialogues Norris Point: Re-imagining the role of rural social enterprise and place in a post-Covid world.
- Saiqa Azam (Faculty of Education) and Christina Pike (Newfoundland and Labrador School Board (NLESD)). Inclusive Science Education: LEARNing in Partnership.
- Ingrid Percy (School of Fine Arts - Visual Arts) and Whitney French (Rotary Arts Centre School of Fine Arts). Summer Visiting Artist Program.
- Robert Hengeveld (School of Fine Arts -Visual Arts) and Jim Parsons (The City of Corner Brook). Reclaiming Public Space for Community and Culture.
- Atanu Sarkar (Faculty of Medicine - Div. of Community Health and Humanities) and Dan Rubin (Food Producers Forum, Inc.). Enhancing Year-Round Food Production by Partnering with Community Food Hubs.
- Xuemei Li (Faculty of Education) and Martha Trahey (TESL NL). Enhancing engagement of TESL NL stakeholders on pressing issues.
- Kirk Regular (Centre for Applied Ocean Technology, School of Ocean Technology, Marine Institute) and Neil Burgess (Shipwreck Preservation Society of NL). Developing Public Awareness of our Maritime Heritage by documenting shipwrecks with 3D imagery for virtual online exhibits in collaboration with the Shipwreck Preservation Society of NL (SPSNL).
- Rachel Jekanowski (Faculty of Humanities and Social Sciences) and Daniel Rumbolt (Eastern Edge Gallery). Breaking Down White Walls: Developing an Anti-Racism Action Program for NL Arts Communities.
- Barbara Neis (Faculty of Humanities and Social Sciences) and Greg Locke (Stray Light Media Inc. Exit Zero, Dispatches from the Newfoundland Migrant Workers
- Tony Fang (Faculty of Business) and Meghan Philpott (Association for New Canadians). Developing a Better Understanding of the Integration Needs of the Newcomers in the NL Workplace: A Public Engagement Project.
- Dorothy Vaandering (Faculty of Education) and Mi'sel Joe (Miawpukek First Nation). Learning from Indigenous Experience: Making Relational Restorative Justice Real in Newfoundland and Labrador.
- Nick Harris (Faculty of Humanities and Social Sciences) and Denise Hillier (Stella's Circle). Enhancing Public Engagement Through the Voices of Lived Experience.
- Sheila Garland (Faculty of Humanities and Social Sciences) and Geoff Eaton (Young Adult Cancer Canada). PRIME-D: Disseminating Results from the Young Adults with Cancer in their PRIME (YACPRIME) study.
- Mumtaz Cheema (Grenfell School of Science and the Environment) and Lindsay Newman (NL Eats). Engaging high school students in attacking food insecurity in their communities.
- Jennifer Buxton (Grenfell Campus Office of Engagement) and Nicole Bursey
(NorPen Status of Women Council). Enhancing community-based online service learning and student support through co-designed "E-Learning Hubs" in two rural regions.
- Fred Campbell (Grenfell School and Science and the Environment) and Ivan White Sr. (Abadak Wilderness Adventures Inc.). Community-driven knowledge mobilization on health properties of local and traditional foods.
- Natalie Beausoleil (Faculty of Medicine) and Laura Williams (Resource Centre for the Arts). The Dialysis Project.
- Robyn Anderson (Grenfell School of Fine Arts) and Jane Walker ( Union House Arts). Printshop in a Box.
- Catharyn Andersen (Office of Indigenous Affairs) and Justin Campbell ( First Light). Community Action Plan to End Anti-Indigenous Racism in St. John’s.
- David Hancock (School of Human Kinestics and Recreation) and Tony Croft (SportNL). Co-Creating a Research Plan to Investigate Sport Officiating in Newfoundland and Labrador.
- Mery Perez ( Grenfell Office of Engagement) and Mildred Lavers ( Northern Peninsula (Mekap’sk) Mi’kmaq Band and Norpen Aboriginal Women's Circle). Great Northern Peninsula Community Based Learning Pilot Project.
- Kim Shipp (GEO Centre) and Jean Ann Lambert (Holy Name of Mary Academy). STEAM BUS:Increasing Climate Change Innovation Capacity for Youth in Rural NL through Mobile STEAM Outreach.
- Erin MacGowan (School of Human Kinetics and Recreation) and Ruth Lawrence (White Rooster Theatre). The Cut of It: Mobilizing Breast Cancer Research Through Theatre and Public Engagement.
- Kevin Power (School of Human Kinetics and Recreation) and Michael Burry (Spinal Cord Injury NL). Community-based Exercise Therapy for Persons with Spinal Cord Injury.
- Po Chun Lau (Faculty of Humanities and Social Sciences) and Jodey Wall (Town of Pouch Cove). Pouch Cove Sculpture Garden Public Art Project.
- Melissa Halford (Grenfell School of Arts & Social Science) and Joan Cranston (Bonne Bay Cottage Hospital Heritage Corporation). Stay Where You're at 'til I Comes Where You're To.
- Jill Allison (Faculty of Medicine) and Susan Boone (Heal Bell Island) – Healing Beyond Bell Island: Sharing a Community Support Model for Addictions Support and Treatment
- Cathy Newhook (Harris Centre) and Mike Kehoe (Older Workers NL) – Older Workers Summit
- Rochelle Cote (Faculty of Humanities and Social Sciences) and Stacey Howse (First Light) – Celebrating Indigenous Boarders: Making for New Cultural Understanding of Indigenous Urban Youth Landscapes in Newfoundland
- Jenna Rosales (Faculty of Engineering) and Justin Haley (Professional Engineers and Geoscientists Newfoundland and Labrador) – Designing a More Mindful Engineering Community
- Kelly Butler (Indigenous Resource Centre) and Arlene White (Bay St. George Mi-kmaq Cultural Revival Committee) – Maw-lulwu’tinej/Let’s Work Together: Relationship-Building and Collaboration in a Mi-kmaw Context
- Mary Dalton (Faculty of Humanities and Social Sciences) and Elizabeth Lawrence (City of St. John’s) – Flahoolic: A Poetry Podcast
- Shannon Lewis-Simpson (Student Life) and Joan Butler (New Perlican Heritage Committee) – Advancing Experiential Learning and Regional Cultural Narratives in New Perlican
- Stephan Czarnuch (Faculty of Engineering and Applied Science) and Jerry Earle (Newfoundland and Labrador Association of Public and Private Employees- NAPE) - Road to Mental Readiness for First Responders: Train the trainer in NL
- Nicholas Lynch (Faculty of Humanities and Social Sciences) and Viviana Ramirez-Luna (Zero Waste Canada) – The Road to Zero Waste and the Circular Economy in Newfoundland: Challenges and Opportunities
- Kathryn Lear (Signal Hill Campus) and Amy Henderson (Business & Arts NL) – Hill Harmonies: Student Music Performance Series
- Atanu Sarkar (Faculty of Medicine) and Dan Rubin (Perfectly Perennial Herbs and Seeds) – A partnership to sustain local food production using the Earth Sheltered Greenhouse
- Bill Brennan (School of Music) and Newfoundland and Labrador English School Board – Playing Out: Engaging Youth with Music
- Delores V. Mullings (School of Social Work) and Association for New Canadians – Creating opportunities for dialogue among newcomer racialized women and community stakeholders to strategize about inclusive and welcoming workplaces
- Meghan Forsyth (School of Music) and SingSong Inc. – Festival of Traditional Newfoundland and Labrador Music, Song and Stories
- Kristina Szutor (School of Music) and Kittiwake Dance Theatre – Partnering in Dance: Developing Collaborative Capacity
- Jan Buley (Faculty of Education) and Stella’s Circle – The Lullaby Project NL: Engaging with beauty through poetry and music
- Karen Goodnough (Faculty of Education) and Shorefast Foundation – Fostering Ocean Literacy and Environmental Stewardship: The Adapt-an-Island Project
- Kim Cullen (School of Human Kinetics and Recreation) and Newfoundland & Labrador Construction Safety Association – Working together: Unpacking what works in return-to-work
- Myriam Osorio (Faculty of Humanities and Social Sciences) and Salsa in St. John’s – Carnaval Latino!
- Nicholas Welch (Faculty of Humanities and Social Sciences) and Innu Nation – Innu Community Linguistics Workshop
- Ryan Murphy (Student Life) and TEDxStJohn’s – Spreading Pollen: a local enterprise network
- Teresa Connors (International Institute for Critical Studies in Improvisation and post-doctoral research fellow, Memorial) and Parks Canada Agency – Sonics from our Ocean’s Edge
- Martha Traverso-Yepez (Facutly of Medicine) and Eastern Health – Engaging Newfoundland and Labrador in Designing a Perinatal Health Framework
Anne Burke (Faculty of Education) - Makerspaces in Museums and Galleries for Intergenerational Learning
Deborah Kelly (School of Pharmacy) - Academic Detailing for Community Pharmacists Involved in Deprescribing Scope of Practice
Blair Winsor (School of Business) - Workshop for Rural Community Economic Development Using Social Enterprise
Karen Hattenhauer (Faculty of Science) - Laboratory Experience for Public School Students: A MUN Field trip
Ian Sutherland (School of Music) - Making music work: Professional development workshops for musicians
Rosemary Ricciardelli (Faculty of Humanities and Social Sciences) - Relational justice: Creating a culture of restoration and accountability within St. Mary's Elementary School Community
Svetlana Barkanova (Faculty of Science) - Stars for Everyone: Culture and Astronomy in and out of Classroom
Vernon Curran (School of Medicine) - The Digital Health Revolution: Community Perspectives of Digital Health in Newfoundland and Labrador
John Atkinson (Faculty of Science) - Public Website for Wild and Country Foods of Newfoundland and Labrador
Andrea Rose (Faculty of Education) - Building community and learning together: the making of a Newfoundland and Labrador Choral Federation
Robert Ormsby (Department of English) - Brave New Worlds: Shakespeare In Newfoundland and Labrador
Jennifer Browne (Student Experience Office) - Charging the Battery: Creating a Graduate Residential College
Julia Lukewich (School of Nursing) - Integrating Nurses into the Primary Care Setting in Newfoundland and Labrador (NL): The Development of Core Competencies for Family Practice Nursing
Sylvia Moore (Faculty of Education) - Intergenerational Teaching
Alison Carr (ISER Books) - Towards an Encyclopedia of Local Knowledge: Excerpts from Chapters I and II
Jamie Skidmore (Department of English) - A Fish Tale: An Engaging Partnership Between Isle aux Morts Heritage Society, the Town of Isle aux Morts, Qalipu First Nation, and Memorial University
Xili Duan(Faculty Engineering and Applied Science) - Energy Recovery Integrated with Sewage Treatment for Sustainable Community Development
April Manuel (school of Nursing) - "The Experiences of Individuals in Newfoundland and Labrador (NL) Living with Hearing Loss: The Development of a Proposal"
Katherine Side (Department of Gender Studies) - Connecting Through Cloth: Clothing Northern Newfoundland and Coastal Labrador
Rose Ricciardelli (Department of Sociology) - Implementing and Evaluating Extra-Judicial Measures in Newfoundland and Labrador
Max Liboiron (Department of Sociology) - Citizen Science on Marine Plastic Pollution in Newfoundland and Labrador Schools & School Programs
Gail Wideman (School of Social Work) - Atlantic Regional Military and Veterans Families Leadership Circle
Margarita Kondratieva - (Faculty of Education) - Math Circles of St. John's Pilot Project
Sarah J. Martin (Department of Political Science) - Scaling Food Security Partnerships Up and Down: Global and Local Lessons on Community Engagement
Stephen Tomblin (Department of Political Science) - Regional Avalon Collaboration on Emergency Preparedness
Alex Marland (Department of Political Science) - Newfoundland and Labrador Democracy Project
Dorothy Vaandering (Faculty of Education) - Relationships First: Creating School Cultures of Belonging
Ursula Kelly (Faculty of Education) - Remembering and Celebrating the Songs, Stories and Service of the Newfoundland Forest Corp of World War I and the Newfoundland Overseas Forestry Unit of World War II
David Gill & Gerard Galway (Faculty of Education) - “Making” a Difference: Building Bridges Through Public Engagement
Tom Gordon (School of Music) - 20th Biennial Inuit Studies Conference
Catherine de Boer (School of Social Work) - Right Here, Right Now: A Women Centered, Trauma-Informed Drop-In Counselling Initiative
Olga Heath (Faculty of Medicine) - Engaging the Community in Health Professional Education: Interprofessional Placements in Community Agencies
Wiliam Driedzic (Department of Ocean Sciences) - Public Aquarium at Champney's West
Arn Keeling (Departmetn of Geography) - Resource Development and Community Well-Being: Public dialogue on “social license to operate”
Lisa Russell (Student Life) - Mobilizing Knowledge on the East Coast Trail: A Pilot Project to Enable Experiential Learning and Advance Regional Cultural Tourism
Kevin Pope (Faculty of Engineering & Applied Science) - Bubble Greenhouse Collaboration for Community Development and Food Security
Fiona Polack (Department of English) - Screening the Offshore
Carolyn Sturge-Sparkes (Faculty of Medicine)- Seeing Beyond Good Medicines (Title Innu-Aimun) : A Collaborative Learning Project between Innu Youth and Students of Health Care Professions
Aimee Surprenant(Department of Psychology) - Science Literacy Week 2016
Dr. Kati Szego (School of Music) - The Neighbours Project: Cultural Diversity in Newfoundland and Labrador (Phase 1)
Dr. Catherine Donovan (Faculty of Medicine) - Monitoring the Evolution of a Healthy Built Environment in Newfoundland and Labrador: Developing a Proposal for Intersectoral Engagement.
Dr. Sandrine Jean (Department of Anthropology) - Housing Forum: Housing and the mobile workforce in Newfoundland and Labrador
Dr. Agnes Juhasz-Ormsby (Department of English) - The Mullock Collection and Newfoundland Print Culture
Dr. Kelly Vodden (Environmental Policy Institute) - Moving towards sustainability in the Clarenville-Bonavista Rural Secretariat Region: A report card for regional sustainability and community mobilization
Ms. Lynn Morrissey (Faculty of Business Administration) - Labrador Hydroponic Co-Operative
Dr. Kristin Harris-Walsh (School of Music) - Memorial's Dancer in Residence
Dr. Stephen Bornstein (Faculty of Medicine) - The NL Centre for Applied Health Research (NLCAHR) Contextualized Health Research Synthesis Program: Accelerator Project for Patient/Caregiver Partnerships & Federal