Qualifications for Admission to the MScN program
(Practicum and Nurse Practitioner options)
Admission to the MScN program is limited and competitive. To be considered for admission applicants must have:
1. A baccalaureate Degree in nursing from an accredited program in Canada, or an equivalent from an institution recognized by the University, with a minimum GPA of 3.0 (B).
2. A minimum grade of B (65%) in both the undergraduate statistics course and undergraduate nursing research course.
3. A minimum of 1950 hours of work experience (practicum option) or 3000 hours work experience (nurse practitioner option) earned by the application due date.
4. A valid practising licence from the Association of Registered Nurses of Newfoundland and Labrador or the equivalent from the applicant's province/country of residence.
5. If the medium of instruction of your previous degree was not exclusively English, then scores from one of the English Language Proficiency tests as outlined in the university calendar will be required.
Qualifications for Admission to the Graduate Diploma in Nursing (Post Master's Nurse Practitioner)
In addition to requirements 1 -5 listed above, candidates seeking admission to the Diploma program must hold a Master's Degree in Nursing from an accredited program in Canada, or an equivalent from an institution recognized by the University, with a minimum GPA of 3.0 (B).
Please note that for both the MN (Nurse Practitioner option) and Graduate Diploma in Nursing (Post Master's Nurse Practitioner) program preference will be given to applicants who reside in Newfoundland and Labrador.
Only in exceptional circumstances and only on the reccomendation of the Faculty of Nursing shall the Dean of Graduate Studies consider applicants who do not meet the admission requirements listed above.
The deadline for our Fall 2021 intake is February 15, 2021. Your application and all supporting documents must be recieved by this date. To apply you will need to submit:
- The Faculty of Nursing application form
- One professional and one academic letter of reference. Please note that professional references must be from someone in a supervisory role (e.g., manager, director), NOT a colleague. In addition, academic references should be from a college or University professor, NOT a clinical educator.
- Official transcripts from all post-secondary studies (see mailing address here)
- Letter from employer(s) re. proof of working hours
- The online School of Graduate Studies application
Please note applications take ~ 3 months to review. You will be notified about your application status via e-mail, so applicants should monitor their MUN and/or personal e-mail on a regular basis.
If you have any questions about the application process, please contact the Faculty of Nursing at MNSON@mun.ca or (709) 864-3603.