Service Name: Computing Support, The Commons
The Commons is a partnership between Information Technology Services, the Queen Elizabeth II Library (QEII Library), Distance Education and Learning Technologies (DELTS), and the Writing Centre. The Commons provides access to print, computer, and technology resources with the support and expertise needed to help students, faculty, and staff use these resources. (is print referencing pictures, patterns, docs, etc or printer/printing process?)
The Computing Support area of The Commons provides support for a number of applications including Microsoft Office Suite (Word, PowerPoint, and Excel). Clients can receive assistance with the formatting of word documents, preparation of presentations, printing reports, etc.
- Support for office products such as Microsoft Office and Open Office.
- One-on-one tutoring.
- B&W printing and support.
- Labnet Account generation and renewal.
- Desire2Learn support.
- Assistive/adaptive Technology support.
- Classroom application student support sessions.
- Wireless set-up.
- General inquires support
How to request this service:
Computing Support Desk
Main Floor – QEII Library
Who can avail of this service:
- All faculty, staff and students of MemorialUniversity. However, undergraduate students are the primary users of this service and are given priority
Out of Scope:
- Staff will assist clients with projects, but the majority of the work is expected to be completed by the client.
- The Computing Support Desk reserves the right to refuse to help people who are working on commercial projects.
- Computer Support Desk hours vary throughout the year. For current support hours, please reference http://www.library.mun.ca/qeii/commons.php
- There is no cost to avail the support services.
- Black & white printing cost 5 cents/page.
- Most issues are usually dealt with promptly within 10 minutes at first point of contact. Any issues that require secondary support are referred to the ITS Service Desk in Henrietta Harvey Building.
- Wireless setup average wait time is 15 minutes with about 10 minutes setup time.
- One-on-one tutoring service availability varies from semester to semester. Booking can be done by visiting The Commons online booking utility at http://thecommons.mun.ca/booking
Processes and Tools:
- Clients can request assistance from The Commons Computing Support Desk.
- ITS Service Desk (Remedy) tracks and manages incidents
Accountabilities and Key Roles:
- ITS Client Relationships staff provide computing support assistance.
- DELTS staff provide Desire2Learn support.
- Student staff provide computing support assistance
Key Performance Indicators:
- Number of logins per day.
- Number of clients helped per day.
- Number of pages printed per day
Revision: March 2014
Service Owner: IT Supervisor, The Commons