Service Name: UNIX Login Server
The Department of Computing and Communications (C&C) supports a UNIX–based server which grants authorized users access to a UNIX shell environment and affiliated services. The server provides access to a user’s personal websites, institutional web-server websites, access to a text-based e-mail system (Pine), and a general UNIX-command environment.
How to request this service:
- A service request placed through the Service Desk is required to initiate support on this service offering.
Out of Scope:
- Service restricted to authorized users via LDAP services.
- There is no TSG support on the UNIX environment or Pine mailer, other than for setup and maintenance.
- This is a Priority service available 7/24/365 except during periods of maintenance and upgrade.
- Service outages managed through the RFC ITIL process.
- This is a Priority service and given response accordingly five business days a week with after-hours system monitoring.
- The TSG monitors the access to this service through Tivoli, and the service is given first response priority.
- Access to the service is via GID field in the user’s LDAP record; a manual edit of the record is required to allow access to the service.
Processes and Tools:
- Incident Management tools via Remedy for incident requests, tracking, and work-flow
- IPA2 form for institutional web site management.
- LDAP maintenance tools
Accountabilities and Key Roles:
- The Service Desk provides front-line client liaison and incident management services
- The TSG assigns service role specialists
Key Performance Indicators:
- Number of users
Revision: December 2009
Service Owner: Technical Support Group - Randy Dodge, Manager