Service Name: Personal Computer Support
Support services on personal computer systems are provided by Information Technology Services Personal Computing Group (PCG). Various services are offered including software installation, hardware and software problem resolution, and application support. The services are provided on supported versions of Windows and Apple Macintosh. Services are also provided on a best effort basis for other Operating Systems (e.g., Linux). The PC Support team is responsible for implementing the best solution possible for the client within the guidelines of MemorialUniversity’s policies.
- Software is installed following the policies and procedures of MemorialUniversity and ITS.
- IT Procurement can arrange for site licenses from a variety of suppliers including Microsoft, Adobe, Corel, and SPSS.
- PCG is responsible for the correct installation of the license and will advise users of the End User License Agreement.
- Installation of PC and server Operating Systems.
Hardware and Software Problem Resolution:
- PCG will make best effort to determine the cause of personal computer (PC) issues, such as slowness and unsatisfactory performance of software and hardware.
- Patches and other updates will be applied as appropriate.
- Software issues related to installation options are supported.
- Hardware issues for systems under warranty will be coordinated with the retailer or service provider by PCG.
- Hardware issues for systems not under warranty will be returned to the client, and the client will be advised on how to best solve the problem. Referrals to Technical Services will be made where appropriate.
- Inventory and reporting of hardware and software on PCs
- Remote tools from Microsoft's System Center Configuration Manager (SCCM) for assisting clients, remotely.
- Provide Xerox and computer printer configuration support
for the Xerox WorkCentre machines located throughout the university.
- Provide computer refresh and system migration program to faculties and departments of Memorial
- PCG will offer guidance on the usage of installed software as appropriate.
How to request this service:
By phone, email, fax or in person
Service requests may be submitted via completion of an on-line form.
Appointment service is available in CS1006 for wireless and/or high priority notebook work.
Who can avail of this service:
- Faculty, staff, and students for services currently supported by the PCG.
- University owned PCs with Windows and Macintosh-based operating systems. Other operating systems (including Linux) are supported on a best effort basis.
- Personally owned computers for the following services only: wireless, Home-Use Installation of Site License software, and Harlow Laptop Certification.
Out of Scope:
- Personally owned desktop systems of faculty, staff and students, except as noted above.
- Open 9:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m. Monday to Friday, excluding university holidays.
- Summer hours are 8:30 a.m. – 4:30 p.m. Monday to Friday.
- Requests are submitted to the Service Desk and are assigned a priority based on the impact (e.g., number of people affected) and severity (the nature) of the incident.
- Frequently requested services requiring office visits are listed below:
|Service Type||Resolution Time|
|Install/Configure Monitor||3 to 4 days|
|Install/Configure Printer||3 to 4 days|
|Install/Configure Software||3 to 4 days|
Processes and Tools:
- Log, monitor, and resolve incident using the Remedy Incident Management system.
- Appointment service is offered at room CS-1006 for wireless and notebook/mobile device appointments.
- Monitor and apply core software patches using System Center Configuration Manager to SCCM-managed systems.
- PC Remote Assistance (MS Windows Offered Remote Assistance & SCCM).
Accountabilities and Key Roles:
- PC Consultants are front line staff responsible for following the defined processes, researching and recommending solutions.
- PC supervisor ensures procedures are up-to-date and appropriate staff are scheduled to deal with incoming client requests.
- PCG Manager oversees PC Support Group activities and priorities.
Key Performance Indicators:
- Volume of incidents
- Incident resolution times
- Client survey results
Revision: December 2014
Service Owner: Manager, Personal Computing Group