Childcare and Schools for Children


The Childcare Centre at Memorial University offers on-campus child care in four program areas:

  • Toddler Centre (age 2)
  • Full-time pre-school (ages 3 - 6)
  • Part-time (ages 3 - 6)
  • Activity Centre for school-aged children (ages 5 - 12)

You should register your child as soon as you arrive at Memorial University as waitlist times can vary with each program. For more information, visit the Memorial University Childcare website.

Other Childcare Options

There are many other daycare facilities in St. John's. Typically, a daycare centre can charge between $30-$60 per day, depending on your child's age and type of care required. Most daycares do not care for children under the age of 2 so check age requirements. It is recommended that you research several daycare centres to compare fees.

You can search for other daycares in the Yellow Pages of the phone book under Childcare services. You can search for Pre-schools under Schools – Academic-Nursery & Kindergarten.

Licensed childcare service providers must meet certain standards for staff training, facilities and programs. For more information about the provincial standards and helpful tips on how to find childcare, visit the Provincial Government of NL website on childcare services.

Schools for Children

The school year for children typically runs from September to June with children starting school at age 4 or 5 depending on their birth date. Schools within the St. John's area are represented by English School District.

In order to enrol your child in school, you must contact the Newfoundland and Labrador English School District. You will be referred to the principal of a particular school in the area you reside. You should begin the enrolment process of your child as soon as you arrive in St. John's.

For your interview with the school principal, you may be requested to bring:

  • Your child's school records (translated in English if necessary)
  • Proof of your child's age - a birth certificate (translated in English if necessary) or passport
  • Medical information or immunization documents for your child (translated in English if necessary)
  • Proof of address (copy of a bank statement, telephone bill or lease/rental agreement with your name and address
  • Your visa and study permit

The principal will inform you of the exact documents you are required to provide.

Immigration Information for Minor Children to Study

For information, visit the Citizenship and Immigration Canada website at


Internationalization Office

230 Elizabeth Ave, St. John's, NL, CANADA, A1B 3X9

Postal Address: P.O. Box 4200, St. John's, NL, CANADA, A1C 5S7

Tel: (709) 864-8000