Clearances & Certificates

Research projects often require documentation of consent or clearance for various aspects of a scholarly inquiry. The most common are for work with human research participants, and these can also include research with specific communities or groups. Though rare in the humanities and social sciences, clearances are also required for work with animals and hazardous materials. In some disciplines there's also need for permits, ranging from those for archaeological digs to the operation of specialized equipment such as remote controlled drones. In each case an applicant needs to discern whether a clearance, certificate, permit, or consent is required for their proposed research, and find out who or what body is capable of approving or granting the necessary documents so their research can proceed. In some cases it might be Memorial; in other cases it might be a provincial or federal agency, or a community body. 

Memorial University

For more, see Research Integrity & Ethics from the Office of the Vice President (Research).

Indigenous Research

Memorial is currently developing institutional procedures and policies regarding Indigenous Research. For an overview of the current discussion, and engagement with the processes of consultation and development, please see

A full list of contacts for Indigenous Groups, Organizations, and Communities in Newfoundland & Labrador, is maintained as part of this initiative. Some communities have formalized procedures, others do not. See

Province of Newfoundland & Labrador

Provincial Archaeology Office
Nunatsiavut Government

Government of Canada

Transport Canada


Faculty of Humanities and Social Sciences

230 Elizabeth Ave, St. John's, NL, CANADA, A1B 3X9

Postal Address: P.O. Box 4200, St. John's, NL, CANADA, A1C 5S7

Tel: (709) 864-8000