Formerly called The Forebury, Park Hill links Fore Street and what was the Netteswell or Roydon Road. The Netteswell Road was preserved as a cycle track in Gibberd’s plan for the New Town, to link Old Harlow with the Town Park and the town centre. In 1833 there were 10 malt houses in Harlow and one of these, Reid's, perhaps dating to the late 18th century, was a thatched, weather-boarded structure that survived in Park Hill until the 1960's. During the last few years of its life it housed the workshop and warehouse of the Harlow Parks Department. Previous occupants were Fyfe Wilson Limited, Electrical Engineers, which made dynamos for diesel engines and power generating stations; a manufacturer of paper bags, one of whose clients was Fortnum and Mason of Piccadilly; and Spivey's, a manufacturer of women's undergarments. The Leys, a large house at the north end of the cul-de-sac at the bottom of Park Hill, was built in 1925 by Charles Coleman on the site of the brick malt kiln.
1 Park Hill*
Dower House is a 17th century roughcast, timber-framed house. Despite being re-fronted in the 19th century, when the pedimented door was inserted, it retains its jettied first floor. Around the turn of the 20th century it housed Basil Scruby's doll factory
3 Park Hill*
The Old House. A late 18th century addition to Dower House, decorated with fake 'half timbering' . The sash windows were inserted in the 18th century, and the doorway with its open pediment in the early 19th century. During the 1890s this was Samuel Deard’s second house. His first house, in the 1870s, was Lawson's Cottage, next to the Chequers, and his third was West House, next door at number 7. In 1898 Kelly's Directory described him as
inventor and patentee of the 'Victoria Dry Glazing'. Fifty tons or 60,000 feet used at the Colonial and India Exhibition, South Kensington; well adapted for railway, exhibition and conservatory roofs; also the patent coil boilers for churches, chapels, greenhouses and conservatories; appointed hot water engineer to 'Venice in London'; painter, glazier; lumber and gasfitter.
Penshurst: Until the 1969 redevelopment of Park Hill, a large house known as 'Penshurst' was accessed by a land between The Old House and West House. The housing estate built on the site of the old house, and of the veterinary surgery (see below) in the 1980s retains the historic name.
7 Park Hill*: West House. An early 19th century house in stock brick. It was the home of Dr. Richard Theodore Grubb, LRCP Edin., MRCS Eng., Medical Officer of Health and Vaccinator from at least 1874. After his death in 1909 the house was bought by Sam Deards, the proprietor of Deards' Victoria Dry-Glazing works and the inventor of the cricket score-board which has become a standard feature of the English landscape. His Victoria Works was located behind the house, on a site now occupied by the houses of the 1980s-vintage Penshurst estate.
9 Park Hill. Hemsford*. A mid- to late 19th century brick building. In September 1947, when it was owned by Messrs. Windolite, the Epping Rural District Council, which was then still the governing body for Harlow, gave J. Cowlin and Sons permission to subdivide the building into two houses. The absence of a door on the west end of the building suggests that it was subsequently converted back to a single residence. Until the 1969 redevelopment of Park Hill, the veterinary surgery and stables of J.E.M. Ridge was accessed by a lane on the west side of Hemsford.
15 - 17 Park Hill. A pair of late-19th century brick cottages originally known as No. 1 and 2 Park Villas.
OddFellows Hall. A utilitarian building erected in 1960 on the corner of Park Hill and Broadway Avenue in 1960.
6 - 16 Park Hill: 'Oddfellow's Terrace'. The Oddfellows were a 'friendly society' and played an important role in the community in the days before the welfare state. The organization made payments to its members when sickness, injury or unemployment made it necessary. In 1910 the Mulberry Tree Lodge of the Independent Order of Odd Fellows, Manchester Unity, built two terraces of six brick cottages to provide both housing accommodation and rental income. This is one of them, and the other (numbers 1 - 6 Mulberry Terrace), is around the corner in Broadway Avenue. The Terrace in Park Hill bears a Memorial Tablet commemorating 40 of their brothers who died during the conflict. It reads: "Mulberry Tree Lodge I.O.O.F. M.U. In abiding fraternal memory of our worthy brothers who fell in the Great War 1914 - 1918".
28 - 34 Park Hill. A row of red brick cottages, ca. 1900, originally known as Park Villas.