Professional Development Information
Supervisory Management Skills Program: Communications and Team Development
Learn how communicating with different personalities, performance coaching and team building techniques will help you lead your team to higher productivity.
As a supervisor, you strive to cultivate a work environment that acknowledges the importance of performance coaching, communications and team building. Knowing how to communicate with employees, while respecting the diversity of the individuals in your team, is key to building a successful and effective team. This module will help you to understand your varied roles as leader, team builder and communicator, and equip you with tools and techniques to develop a productive and motivated team.
The Communications and Team Development module is built around five core topic areas of study:
- Building and Maximizing Workplace Relationships helps participants gain insight into their behavioural style, natural tendencies, and communication preferences, to elevate self-awareness and understand how they and their team can perform at their best. This session uses the DISC Assessment; the most widely used behavioural profiling tool of its kind.
Practice validation exercises to determine 'best fit' type
Understand how personality plays a role in information interpretation, decision-making, team development and effective communication
Use meetings effectively
- Building High-Performing Teams teaches participants how teams are defined and how to tailor their supervisory approach to foster more effective teams. Participants also learn essential behaviours for building cohesive teams and techniques to deal with dysfunctional teams.
Diagnose your team's stage of development and learn how to tailor your approach
Identify the challenges for team development and learn strategies for managing these challenges
Recognize team member behaviours that impede cohesiveness
Learn assertive techniques to deal with signs of team dysfunction
Identify factors you should be focusing on to increase effectiveness
Understand essential leader behaviours that foster 'hot teams'
- Essential Communication Skills for Managers and Supervisors focuses on the essentials of verbal and non-verbal communications at all levels in the workplace. Participants will also learn meeting planning and management tools, meeting manners and protocols, and the roles of chairpersons versus participants.
Explore the challenges of different communication mediums
Identify the elements of organizational communications at all levels
Refine your direct communication and active listening skills while discovering the power, influence and impact of non-verbal communication
Learn meeting do's and don'ts and how to plan and prepare meetings - before during and after
Identify the roles of the chairperson and participants and establish meeting manners and protocol
Keep your meeting agenda on track: staying on time and focused and ensuring the meeting produces actionable items
- Performance Coaching guides the participant through a step-by-step approach to employee coaching. Participants will learn the importance of formal versus informal coaching along with the essentials of performance feedback.
Build relationships by learning to give and receive effective feedback
Practice a step-by-step approach to employee coaching
Understand the importance of effective 'formal' and 'informal' coaching
Discover methods of improving the legal defensibility of performance feedback
Understand the importance of goal setting and confidence in employee development
Practice coaching techniques and get feedback from co-participants and the facilitator
- Managing Difficult Conversations will help participants successfully prepare for and manage difficult conversations in a way that produces positive outcomes for all parties involved.
Practice techniques to prepare for a difficult conversation
Assess and apply the 7-step process for successfully engaging in a courageous conversation
Discuss the importance of communication and coaching tools
Realize the impact of assertive messaging and language
Study the role of emotions and how to manage them during a difficult conversation
Explore why some conversations are more difficult than others
The program instructors provide an interactive learning experience using group discussion, case studies, self-assessment activities, structured exercises, and skills practice to deliver module content.
After each module in the Supervisory Management Skills Program, participants will receive a certificate of completion. For those individuals who complete all three modules of the program, a Certificate of Achievement in Supervisory Management Skills will be awarded.
Please note, this course has been modified for an online virtual classroom and will be delivered over 5 days. Each day will include virtual instruction from 8:30 am - 4:00 pm.
Continuing Education Contact Hours: 35
Past Participants Said:
- "This program has helped me to better understand my role and the implications my decisions have on employees and the organization as a whole."
- "Great instructors, great environment, great content. I would recommend this program to anyone who wants to become more effective in the workplace."