Our Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion Statement
Bruneau Centre for Excellence in Choral Music
Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion Statement
This document is designed to:
1) Ensure that the BCECM reaches, encourages and supports the full diversity of choral music in Newfoundland and Labrador, including singing:
- in rural and urban areas
- in community groups as well as structured organizations such as schools, religious organizations, and nonprofit organizations,
- that transmits the culture, language and traditions of diverse expressive cultures
- that welcomes voices of all singers, including those with diverse abilities, gender expressions, sexual orientations, experience, age, socioeconomic status, and race
- that supports the connection and growth of organizations with a social focus that uses singing as a tool to connect members within the group, as well as with the community at large
2) Promote fair and equitable practice and help build diversity in our teams, programming and service.
3) Ensure that the BCECM acknowledges and respects the special status of Indigenous peoples and the calls to action of the Truth and Reconciliation Commission of Canada
● Ensure our website acknowledges these principles of Equity, Diversity and Inclusion.
● Review governance of organizational structure and assess and ensure we are continually demonstrating our commitment to EDI practices.
● Ensure that our granting programs reflect our commitment to inclusion, equity, diversity and accessibility.
● Aim to identify and remove barriers that may limit the full participation of all singers and singing groups in the province.
● Support diversity of panels, shows, workshops, etc. by ensuring diversity in events we produce ourselves, and encouraging applicants to consider diversity when organizing their own events.
● When hosting an event or workshop, acknowledge the treaty and Indigenous peoples territory of the host site accurately and appropriately.
● Encourage applicants to take equity, diversity and inclusion into consideration when designing projects by sharing our Guidance for Equitable Project Design.