FOG members support both the Garden's mission and FOG's goals by participating in a variety of events and activities throughout the year. The membership application process and membership benefits are explained here. Our current individual and group activities are as follows:
Indoor Activities (Year-Round)
- Calling Volunteers
- Visitor Services/Front Desk
- Visual Arts - workshops, exhibits, decorative items, etc.
- Office Tasks - Inventory, Filing, etc.
- Gift Shop Products Workshops
Outdoor Activities (Seasonal)
- Walk with a Friend Leaders
- Nature & Event Photography
- Trail Patrol
- Interested in trail patrol? We are now offering a mentorship-styled training program. For more information and to sign-up, fill out this form.
- Garden Docent
- Garden Greeter/Minder
- Garden Clean-Up (April/May)
- Children's Crafts, Stories, etc. (May - October)
- Mt. Scio Road Clean-Up (Early June)
- Special Events - Daytime (June-October)
- Special Events - Evenings/Weekends (June-October)
- FOG Spring Plant Sale (Early June)
- Mystery Garden Tour (July)
- FOG Fall Plant Sale (Early September)
- Merry & Bright Light Festival (December)
- Fundraising Projects/Applications (Year-Round)
FOG Working Groups
- Carpentry Group - Tuesday mornings - Max 15 (October-May)
- Horticultural Group - Wednesday mornings - Max 40 (May-November) (Not currently accepting new members as group is at capacity for 2019)
- Board of Directors (September - June)
FOG Board of Directors Opportunities
As a transaction based Board, Directors are responsible for both the strategic and operational aspects of FOG. Supported by other volunteers, Directors manage all of FOG's affairs as a Canadian charity and a company incorporated under provincial laws. The Board meets as required between the months of September and June in meeting space provided by the Garden. Meetings are typically held late in the afternoon to allow for participation by the Garden's Director during his or her working day. Where attendance in person is not possible, technologies are used to allow for members participation in Board meetings.
The Officer positions of the current Board are: President, Vice-President, Secretary and Treasurer. The skills and experiences of this core group is complimented by those of three or five additional Directors with special project responsibilities. Directors are elected for two year terms. Directors serving as Officers serve in these positions for at least one year or until their replacements are recruited. Descriptions of Directors' roles and responsibilities are available from FOG's current Secretary by contacting firstname.lastname@example.org.