Office of the Registrar
Scholarships, Bursaries and Awards (2010/2011)
10 Loan Funds

Maude Abbott Memorial Scholarship Loan Fund

This fund was established by the Federation of Medical Women of Canada. Small loans are available to any woman medical student or first-year intern. In special cases a loan of up to $1000.00 may be granted to a medical woman for recognized post-graduate training. Loans are repayable within five years of date of issue, after which time interest will be charged at the rate of 5% compounded annually. Information regarding these loans may be obtained in writing to Secretariat, Federation of Medical Women of Canada, P.O. Box 8244, Ottawa, Ontario K1G 3H7.

The Association of Professional Engineers of Newfoundland Loan Fund

Established by the Association of Professional Engineers of Newfoundland for Engineering students during their time at this University. Apply to the Dean of Engineering and Applied Science, Memorial University of Newfoundland.

The Breezeway Emergency Trust Fund

In May, 1984, the Board of Directors of the Breezeway Bar gave to the University a sum of money, to be used as an emergency loan/bursary fund for needy undergraduate students. The Fund is administered by the Director, Student Support Programs through the Manager, Scholarships, Bursaries and Awards, and within guidelines already developed by the office for awards to financially needy students. These awards will not normally exceed $300.00.

Canada Student Loans Program Newfoundland and Labrador Student Loans Program

The Canada and Newfoundland and Labrador Student Loans Programs have been instituted by the Federal and Provincial Governments to provide assistance for students at universities and other institutions of post-secondary education.

The authorizing agency for Newfoundland and Labrador may be contacted in writing to Student Financial Services Division, Department of Youth Services and Post-Secondary Education, P.O. Box 8700. St. John's, NL, A1B 4J6, or by telephone to (709) 729-5849, or by fax to (709) 729-2298, or by e-mail to, or through the website at

The procedure is as follows:

  1. Students seeking financial assistance must apply on an official application form for the academic year in which they are requesting assistance. Students may choose to apply on a paper application or via the Internet. It is the students' responsibility to ensure all required documentation has been submitted to our office.

  2. If applications are successful, each student will be given certificates of eligibility for their federal and provincial student loans. In general, to receive a federal student loan, applicants must be enrolled in at least 60% of a full course load. In order to receive a provincial student loan, applicants must be enrolled in at least 80% of a full-course load.

  3. Having received the certificates of eligibility, students may then approach a designated postal outlet to negotiate the Canada Student Loan and the provincial authorized agency/lender to negotiate the Newfoundland and Labrador Student Loan.

  4. A Canada Student Loan up to a maximum of $165 per week of study may be granted. A Newfoundland and Labrador Student Loan up to a maximum of $110 per week of study may be granted (up to $200 per week provincial student loan for Memorial University of Newfoundland Medical Students).

  5. As long as students maintain full-time studies the interest on the loan will be paid by the government. Repayment will begin 6 months after a student ceases full-time studies.

Canadian Forces Personnel Assistance Fund

Education Assistance Loan Program

  1. The Canadian Forces Personnel Assistance Fund offers an Education Assistance Loan Program to assist serving and former members and their dependants with costs of full-time postsecondary education. This program consists of low interest loans of $1,200 and $1,500, then in $500 increments up to a maximum of $4,000 per student, per year, up to a maximum of $16,000 lifetime per student. It should be noted that a period of 12 months must elapse before a new application can be considered.

  2. Serving or former members are eligible to apply; they must have served in the Canadian Army, after 1st October 1946, or in the Canadian Forces, after 31 January 1968, and have a minimum of one year Regular Force military service. Selection may be based on family income, years of service and individual family circumstances.

  3. Loans are repaid by the member over a twelve, twenty-four, thirty-six or forty-eight month period.

  4. Application forms are available on our website at,or from the Canadian Forces Base Financial Counsellors, district offices of Veterans Affairs Canada, and the Provincial Command offices of the Royal Canadian Legion. They may also be obtained by contacting the CFPAF office at 234 Laurier Avenue West, Ottawa, Ontario, K1P 6K6, telephone 6137603447 or toll free 8887539828.

  5. For those who wish to obtain their loan in time for the semester beginning in September, your submission should arrive at CFPAF by 30 June. Otherwise, applications will be accepted throughout the year until the funds allotted for the EALP are exhausted.

The Gerald S. Doyle Engineering Scholarship Loan Fund

By the generosity of the late G.S. Doyle, Esq., O.B.E., there are a number of scholarship loans available each year to Engineering students. The loans are normally in the amount of $500.00 per year, but may, when circumstances warrant, extend up to $1,000.00 per year. The loans are made by the Dean of Students Affairs and Services on the recommendation of the Dean of Engineering and Applied Science. These loans may be granted for three successive years and are repayable at convenient times before graduation. Applications are available from the Office of the Associate Dean of Engineering and Applied Science.

Helen M. Lodge Loan Fund

The bequest of the late Professor Helen M. Lodge, formerly Professor of Education at this University.

F.W. Rowe Student Loan Fund

Based on royalties from Dr. Rowe's book, The Development of Education in Newfoundland. At the author's suggestion, priority is to be given to the children of active, retired or deceased teachers.