Office of the Registrar
School of Graduate Studies (2011/2012)
25.2 Procedure for Admission
  1. Applicants must submit an application for admission with supporting documentation to the School of Graduate Studies, which approves recommendations for admission made by the Graduate Studies Committee of the School of Social Work. The supporting documentation will consist of: an official transcript of the applicant’s previous academic record submitted directly from the institution(s) attended; a statement of previous professional employment; a list of any published or unpublished works, a declaration of program emphasis and educational objectives; and two letters of appraisal, to be submitted by two referees, one assessing the applicant’s previous academic performance and one assessing the applicants previous practice performance. Letters of appraisal are to be submitted directly to the School of Graduate Studies by the referees.


    Independent of admission to the program, agencies providing the mandatory field internship may have a range of additional requirements such as Criminal Record Check, Child Protection Records Check, or Health Check.

  2. The deadline date for receipt of applications for admission in September of each year is January 15 of the same year. All application forms and supporting documentation for admission to the program must be submitted to the School of Graduate Studies on or before the deadline of January 15. Under special circumstances, late applications and admissions in other semesters may be considered.

  3. The Graduate Studies Committee of the School of Social Work may require the applicant to appear for a personal interview with one or more faculty members.

  4. A person who meets the basic admission requirements under Qualifications for Admission, may, space permitting, take SCWK 6012 without applying for and being admitted to the M.S.W. program. Persons wishing to take a course under this provision must contact the M.S.W. Student Services Coordinator at least two months prior to the semester in which the course is scheduled. If there are available seats in the course, the applicant will need to submit to the School of Social Work the appropriate form requesting permission to register in a graduate course with evidence of B.S.W. graduation, academic transcripts, and a brief professional resume, and apply or reapply for admission to Memorial University of Newfoundland as an undergraduate.

  5. A person who has completed an M.S.W. degree is eligible to register in any M.S.W. course offering, space permitting.