The academic dress for matriculated undergraduates of the University shall be similar to the Scholar's gown of the University of Oxford. It shall be worn whenever the President so directs.
The gowns of the Bachelors shall be of black stuff. The gowns of the Masters shall be of black stuff or silk. The gowns of the Doctors shall be of fine scarlet cloth or silk, or of black stuff or silk.
The pattern of the Bachelor's gown shall be similar to that of the Oxford Bachelor's gown. The pattern of the Master's gown and the Doctor's black gown shall be similar to that of the Oxford Master's gown, except that the Doctor's gown shall have an edging of black silk braid at the opening of the sleeve. The Doctor's scarlet gown shall be similar to that of the Oxford Doctor of Divinity's gown.
The hoods of the Bachelors shall be made of black stuff, the hoods of the Masters of black silk, and the hoods of the Doctors of scarlet silk. They shall be full in shape and lined with the University colours of claret and white. The hoods of the Bachelors shall be trimmed with white fur, the tippets with velvet in the colours distinctive of the Faculty or Degree. The hoods and tippets of the Masters shall be edged with velvet in the colours distinctive of the Faculty or Degree. The hoods and tippets of the Doctors shall be edged with silk in the colours distinctive of the Faculty or Degree; however, the hood of the Doctor of Philosophy shall be of claret silk, lined and edged with claret silk.
The University hood, worn by official representatives of Memorial University of Newfoundland participating in ceremonies, shall be made of black stuff, and lined and edged with claret and white silk.
The distinctive colours for the degrees shall be:
- B.A., B.A. (Police Studies), M.A. - White
- B.B.A., B.Comm., B.Comm.(Co-op.), i.B.B.A., M.B.A., M.O.G.S. - Tan
- B.Ed., B.Ed.(Elementary), B.Ed.(Intermediate/Secondary), B.Ed.(Native and Northern), B.Ed.(Primary), B.Ed.(Post-Secondary), B.Ed. (Primary/Elementary), B.Mus.Ed., B.Sp.Ed., B.Voc.Ed., M.Ed - Light Blue
- B.Eng., M.Eng. - Orange
- B.F.A.(Theatre), B.F.A.(Visual Arts) - Amethyst
- B.Kin., B.Kin.(Co-op.), B.P.E., B.P.E.(Co-op.), B.Rec., B.Rec.(Co-op.), M.P.E., M.Sc.(Kinesiology) - Sage Green
- B.M.S., B. Tech, M.M.S.(Fisheries Resource Management) - Navy Blue
- B.Mus., M.Mus. - Pink
- B.N., M.N. - Coral
- B.R.M. - Citron
- B.Sc., M.A.S., M.A.Sc., M.A.S.P.(Co-op), M.Env.Sc., M.Sc. - Gold
- B.Sc.(Pharmacy), M.Sc.(Pharmacy) - Clover
- B.S.W., M.S.W. - Ruby Gem
- M.D., M.P.H., M.Sc.(Medicine) - Green
- M.E.R. - Chocolate Brown
- M.Phil., Ph.D. - Claret
- M.W.S. - Purple
The caps of Bachelors and Masters shall be black and of the square shape, with black tassel. The caps of the Doctors shall be similar to the Oxford Doctor's bonnet.
The academic dress for the Officers of the University shall be as follows:
Chancellor - a silk gown heavily embroidered with gold braid
Vice-chancellor - a silk gown embroidered with gold braid
Pro vice-chancellor - a silk gown embroidered with gold braid
Registrar and other Officers of the University - gowns of a pattern approved by Senate