- Board of Directors
- Tremblay, Dr. R., Dean of Arts - Virtute Officii
- Loomis, Dr. C., Vice-President (Research) - Virtute Officii
- Feehan, Dr. J., Director
- Byrne, Dr. P., Department of English
- Cullum, Dr. L., Department of Sociology
- Dunn, Dr. C., Department of Political Science
- Hiller, Dr. J., Department of History
- Hiscock, Dr. P., Department of Folklore
- Jamieson, Dr. S., Department of French and Spanish
- Rankin, Dr. L., Department of Anthropology and Archaeology
- Riggs, Mr. B., QEII Library
- Administrative Staff
- Harding, M., Administrative Staff Specialist
- Browne, S., Secretary
Purpose And Mandate
The Smallwood Foundation was established with funds transferred in trust from the J.R. Smallwood Heritage Foundation. The Foundation administers the income from such funds for the promotion and support of research focussing on Newfoundland and Labrador. The board supports research proposals in the humanities and social sciences from both inside and outside the university community.
Effective September 1, 2006, the Executive Committee of ISER also serves as the Board of Directors of the J.R. Smallwood Foundation. In accordance with its mandate, the board awards grants to individual scholars and organizations which have clearly defined objectives and which serve to develop the academic understanding and general appreciation of the province's society, history and culture. Full details of grant categories and application procedures are available on the Foundation's web site at www.mun.ca/smallwood/.
Further information may be obtained in writing to The Director, J.R. Smallwood Foundation for Newfoundland and Labrador Studies, Memorial University of Newfoundland, St. John's, NL, A1B 3X9.