- Professor and Head of the Department
- W. Banzhaf
The degrees of Master of Science and Doctor of Philosophy are offered in Computer Science.
Each candidate admitted into the program shall hold an Honours degree or equivalent in Computer Science or a closely related discipline. An applicant whose undergraduate degree was not in Computer Science, but who has obtained some academic standing in Computer Science, may be recommended for admission to the M.Sc. program and in addition, will be required to take a prescribed set of undergraduate Computer Science courses which may be taken in parallel with the regulation graduate courses. International applicants are strongly encouraged to submit results of the (general) Graduate Record Examination (GRE) Test.
Candidates are required to complete a minimum of 15 credit hours in graduate program courses. A candidate may take 3 credit hours in courses offered by another academic unit as one of the courses.
Each candidate is required to submit an acceptable thesis. The thesis project may involve a theoretical investigation and/or the development of an original, practical system. Each candidate is required to present a tentative outline of his/her proposed research to the Supervisor, with a copy to the Department Committee on Graduate Studies, by the end of his/her third semester in the program (sixth semester for part-time students).
Prior to submission of a thesis, normally in the last semester of the program, candidates are required to present a seminar on the thesis topic, methods employed and research results.
All candidates are expected to take an active part in seminars and other aspects of the academic life of the Department of Computer Science.
A selection of the following graduate courses will be offered to meet the requirements of candidates, as far as the resources of the Department will allow:
- Programming Languages
- 6711 Syntax and Semantics of Programming Languages
- 6712 Compiling Techniques
- 6713 Software Engineering
- 6714 Functional Programming
- 6715 Logic Programming
- 6716 Concurrent Programming
- 6718-6719 Special Topics in Programming Languages
- Computer Systems
- 6720 Distributed and Parallel Computing
- 6721 Operating Systems Design
- 6722 Advanced Computer Architectures
- 6723 Microprocessor Systems
- 6724 VLSI Design (same as Engineering 9863)
- 6725 Computational Aspects of VLSI (same as Engineering 9864)
- 6726 Modelling and Analysis of Computing Systems
- 6727 Introduction to High Performance Computer Systems
- 6728-6729 Special Topics in Computer Systems - Computer Networks
- Numerical Computations
- 6731 Topics in Numerical Methods
- 6732 Matrix Computations
- 6738-6739 Special Topics in Numerical Methods
- Theoretical Aspects
- 6741 Advanced Automata Theory
- 6742 Theory of Databases
- 6743 Complexity of Computational Problems
- 6745 Special Topics - Advanced Computational Geometry
- 6748-6749 Special Topics in Theoretical Computer Science
- 6751 Database Technology and Information Retrieval
- 6752 Applications of Computer Graphics
- 6753 Artificial Intelligence
- 6754 Post-Genomic Computational Biology
- 6755 Knowledge-Based Systems
- 6756 Digital Image Processing
- 6758-6769 Special Topics in Computer Applications
- 6770-6790 Special Topics in Computer Science