Located at the Fisheries and Marine Institute, Bridges, the Marine Technology Alliance Building and Marketing Initiative, has provided $2.35 million to help Newfoundland and Labrador's Centres of Excellence promote their marine technology capabilities and help stimulate the growth of the province's marine technology industry.
The Centres of Excellence, in collaboration with industry, submitted proposals to Bridges in order to promote their capabilities nationally and internationally. Bridges assists the Centres of Excellence in competing and succeeding in the global marketplace by fostering the partnerships and alliances necessary to access new markets and generate wealth in the province.
The organizations and facilities generally known as the Centres of Excellence, that have benefited from this initiative include the Center for Marine Simulation (CMS), Offshore Safety and Survival Center (OSSC), Center for Sustainable Aquatic Resources (CSAR), Center for Aquaculture and Seafood Development (CASD), Center for Earth Resources Research (CERR), Ocean Sciences Center (OSC), Ocean Engineering Research Center (OERC), Telemedicine and Educational Technology Resources Agency (TETRA), Center for Offshore and Remote Medicine (MEDICOR), C-CORE, NRC - Institute for Ocean Technology (IOT), and the College of the North Atlantic - Engineering Technology Center.
The initiative is managed by a six person Board of Directors, made up of industry, academia and government representatives and a small secretariat. This initiative is financed by the Canada - Newfoundland and Labrador Offshore Development Fund (CNODF).
Board of Directors
- Shinkle, L. (Chair)
- President, Cartwright Holdings Ltd.
- Henley, J.
- Vice-President, Offshore Services and Development, G.J. Cahill & Company Limited
- Hogan, D.
- Assistant Deputy Minister
- Department of Innovation, Trade and Rural Renewal
- Loomis, Dr. C.
- Vice-President, Research, Memorial University of Newfoundland
- Martin, K.
- Director of Business Programs, Atlantic Canada Opportunities Agency
- Williams, Dr. M.
- Director General, Institute for Ocean Technology
- Executive Director
- Gall, N.T., B.Comm (Co-op) Memorial, M.B.A. McGill, MCPM UQAM