- Jerkic, Dr. S., Department of Anthropology
- Auringer Wood, Ms. A., QEII Library
- Dunn, Dr. C., Department of Political Science
- Hiscock, Dr. P., Department of Folklore
- Byrne, Dr. P., Department of English Language and Literature
- Rollmann, Dr. H., Department of Religious Studies
- Ryan, Dr. S., Department of History
- Sharpe, Dr. C., Department of Geography
- Ex Officio
- Feehan, Dr. J., Director; Department of Economics
- Virtute Officii
- Vice-President (Research)
- Dean of Arts
- Director, Institute of Social and Economic Research
Purpose And Mandate
The Smallwood Foundation was established with funds transferred in trust from the J.R. Smallwood Heritage Foundation. The Foundation administers the income from such funds for the promotion and support of research focusing on Newfoundland and Labrador. The board supports research proposals in the humanities and social sciences from both inside and outside the university community.
The Foundation is governed by a board appointed by the Board of Regents. Members normally belong to the Faculty of Arts at the University and represent disciplines active in Newfoundland and Labrador Studies. In accordance with its mandate, the board awards grants to individual scholars and organizations which have clearly defined objectives and which serve to develop the academic understanding and general appreciation of the province's society, history and culture. Full details of grant categories and application procedures are available on the Foundation's web site at www.mun.ca/smallwood/.
Further information may be obtained in writing to The Director, J.R. Smallwood Foundation for Newfoundland and Labrador Studies, Memorial University of Newfoundland, St. John's, NL, A1B 3X9.