Faculty Awards and Honours
Research Awards and Honours
- University Research Professors
- Fellows of the Society/Association
- Professores Emeriti
- Honorary Research Professors
- NSERC University Faculty Award
- Petro-Canada Young Innovator Award
- ICA Hall Medal
- Dean of Science Distinguished Scholar Medal
Faculty Service and Education Awards
Faculty Teaching Awards
The title of University Research Professor is the highest honour that Memorial University of Newfoundland bestows for research, accorded only to faculty who have demonstrated a consistently high level of scholarship and whose research is of truly international stature. For more information, click here.
- 2011-12: Dr. Jie Xiao
- 2008-09 :Dr. Xiaoqiang Zhao
- 2004-05: Dr. Brajendra Sutradhar ( more)
- 2002-03: Dr. Yuri Bahturin ( more)
- 2000-01: Dr. Danny Summers ( more)
- 1996-97: Dr. Eric Jespers (now at Vrije Universiteit Brussel)
- 1994-95: Dr. Hermann Brunner
Many organizations which unite researchers in mathematics or statistics designate the title of Fellow to those amongst their membership who have made significant contributions to their chosen field.
- 2006 Fellow of the Fields Institute: Dr. Hermann Brunner
- 2006 Fellow of the American Statistical Association: Dr. Brajendra Sutradhar
The honour of professor emeritus is bestowed upon retired faculty members who have a record of sustained, outstanding scholarly work and/or service to the University. For more information, click here.
Retired faculty members who wish to continue active research may be appointed to the position of Honorary Research Professor. For more information, click here.
- 2006: Dr. Hermann Brunner
NSERC has devised the University Faculty Award (UFA) in order to enhance the recruitment of women and aboriginal peoples to tenure-track positions in the natural sciences and engineering. For more information, click here.
- 2004: Dr. Yuan Yuan
Petro-Canada created this national awards program to recognize, promote and support outstanding and innovative young faculty researchers. For more information, click here.
The Hall Medal recognizes extensive quality research by an Institute of Combinatorics and its Applications (ICA) member in mid-career.
Awarded within the Faculty of Science, the Distinguished Scholar Medal honours individuals who have excelled in both research and teaching. For more information, click here.
Distinguished Service Awards (DSAs) are national honorary designations and were created to recognize exceptional contributions by individuals to their professional community or to that society.
- 2008 Recipient of the Canadian Mathematical Society's David Borwein Distinguished Career Award: Dr. Hermann Brunner (more)
- 2007 Recipient of the Statistical Society of Canada DSA: Dr. Brajendra Sutradhar (more)
- 2006 Recipient of the CAIMS Arthur Beaumont DSA: Dr. Serpil Kocabiyik ( more)
- 2004 Recipient of the Canadian Mathematical Society DSA: Dr. Edgar Goodaire (more)
The Adrien Pouliot Award was introduced by the Canadian Mathematical Society to honour individuals who have made significant and sustained contributions to mathematics education in Canada. For more information, click here.
The Motivational Teaching Award (MTA) is bestowed by the undergraduate and graduate students of the Department upon those faculty members who have best inspired them to further their studies in mathematics and statistics. For more information, click here.
- 2009: Dr. Nabil Shalaby (more)
- 2008: Dr. Margarita Kondratieva (more)
- 2007: Dr. Ivan Booth
- 2005: Dr. Gary Sneddon (former faculty)(more)
- 2004: Dr. David Pike (more)
- 2003: Dr. Mike Parmenter (ret.) (more)
- 2002: Prof. Clayton Halfyard (ret.) (more)
- 2001: Dr. Andy Foster (more)
- 2000: Dr. Don Rideout (ret.) (more)
- 1999: Dr. Richard Charron (former faculty) (more)
- 1998: Dr. P.P. Narayanaswami (ret.) (more)
The President's Award recognizes faculty members from across the University who have demonstrated an inspired and sustained commitment to teaching. For more information, click here.
- 1996: Dr. Melvyn Lewis (ret.)