Getting an E-mail Account
Information Technology Services (ITS) is responsible for issuing e-mail accounts.
- Students: needing an e-mail account can do so over the web by choosing the "Setup Your Account" option at https://my.mun.ca. Students will require their student # and pin # as part of this setup. This will generate a MUN Login ID for you. You will need this Login ID for accessing email, the portal (my.mun.ca) or creating a “nice” email name for yourself.
NOTE: MUNmail is now available as an alternative to the student Webmail service. MUNmail will provide students with all of the services they currently enjoy with other email providers, including a suite of Google products that will enable them to better communicate, share, and collaborate.
The process to opt-in is quick and easy, simply log into the portal (https://my.mun.ca) and click on the “MUNmail” tab to get started. For more information about MUNmail, please visit http://www.mun.ca/cc/munmail/. If you are a new student, you will still have to complete the "Setup Your Account" option as outlined in the first point above, before opting into MUNmail.
- Faculty and staff: who want an e-mail account will be required to complete an application form, which can be obtained from ITS. When the application has been processed, the new e-mail account and setup instructions will be sent out via internal mail.
- Web Access: Simply log onto the Portal (https://my.mun.ca) and click on the MUNmail tab.
- Mobile Setup: To set up MUNmail on your mobile device, follow the instructions found here: http://www.mun.ca/cc/munmail/device_setup.php
- E-Mail Client Setup: There are many e-mail software programs that can be used to access your MUNmail. For specific instructions, check out: http://www.mun.ca/cc/munmail/client_setup.php
You can access your Memorial e-mail account in a variety of methods:
- Web Access: Go to https://webmail.mun.ca and login using your MUN ID and password. Note that this is not your student or employee number, nor your nice e-mail address.
- my.mun.ca portal: Go to https://my.mun.ca and login using your MUN ID and password. Note that this is not your student or employee number, or your nice e-mail address.
- IMAP e-mail client software: There are many e-mail software programs that can be setup to access your Memorial e-mail. Some common ones are Thunderbird, MS Outlook and Outlook express. Here are some settings that you will need to input while setting this up. Server type: “IMAP”, mail server: “mail.mun.ca”, and smtp server: “smtp.mun.ca”. Note that the default server type for many e-mail programs is “POP”, this will not work with your MUN e-mail. Please make sure you use “IMAP”.
Students: Go to https://my.mun.ca and in the profiles channel choose “Add email” button. This will create a drop down list of possible e-mails based on the student’s first and last name. The student can choose any one of the listed e-mails. Note that you choose only one of the names listed, and you can NOT go back later and choose another.
Faculty and staff: Will be assigned a nice e-mail based on the preferred name they indicate on the e-mail application form.