1 Churchgate Street*: Meadhams. A 16th century house
13 Churchgate Street*. A house probably dating from ca, 1600
15 Churchgate Street*. Built ca. 1600. Refronted, but the timber framing is exposed on the north side, in Mill Lane. By the 1880's it was Archbell's grocer's and draper's. After one of the shop assistants by the name of Jacob married the owner's daughter it became Archbell and Jacob. The grocery side of the shop was closed down when Young's shop at Mulberry Green was taken over by new owners. The drapery shop closed about 1936 and became an antique shop.
17 - 19 Churchgate Street*. Deeds for these buildings date from 1664. A sub-Post Office was operated here from 1894 to 2009. The original owners were Mr. and Mrs. French, parents of the two headmistresses of Fawbert and Barnard's School, located in London Road. The telephone kiosk in front of the shop is a Grade II Listed Structure. It's a model K6, designed in 1935 by Giles Gilbert Scott (grandson of Sir George Gilbert Scott, designer of the Anglican Cathedral in St. John's, Newfoundland) to commemorate the Silver Jubilee of King George V. This model was the first red telephone kiosk to be widely used in the U.K.
21 - 25 Churchgate Street*. A late 19th century range of tenements, timber-framed and rendered. The 1875 Ordnance Survey map shows a maltings on this site.
2 - 6 Churchgate Street*. Originally three early 19th century cottages, now converted to one dwelling.
ChurchGate School* In 1816 a group of churchmen, dissatisfied with the non-sectarian education offered at Burgoyne's school in London Road (now Fawbert and Barnard's) decided to build a new school here on land donated by John Perry-Watlington of Moor Hall. The project was support by subscriptions and grants from the National Society and Perry-Watlington. The date stone on the original building is 1850. An infant school was opened in a neighbouring building in 1859. The infant and mixed schools were amalgamated in 1923. After a further reorganization in 1954 the school was granted Aided status. It moved to new buildings in Hobbs Cross Road in 1971. The 'Ex Church of England Churchgate Street School' was sold in 1973 subject to the condition that it not be used for more than 2 houses.
Godsafe*: A mid 16th century range with a jettied cross wing on the south. This was formerly the infant's section of Churchgate Street School. The building was converted to 13 almshouses by the Harlow Poor's Charities in 1975 and re-named 'Godsave'. These new facilities replaced Stafford's, Reeve's and Crabb's almhouses.
St. Mary and St. Hugh*. Mediaeval origins, completely restored 1878-1880. Few old features survive. Some Roman brick is exposed, and there is one Norman window in the north-west bay of the nave wall. The Lychgate is ca. 1880.
Stafford's Almshouses*. Founded in 1630 by Julian, wife of Alexander Stafford, for two poor widows of the parish. The inscription over the door reads: "Given by Julian the wife of Alex: Stafford Esq: for the habitation of two poor widows of this Parish AD 1630". The houses were sold in 1958 and replaced in 1974. In his will, dated 1651, Alexander Stafford of High Holborn, London, gave a rent charge of £12, of which £5 was for the church, £5 for distribution to the poor of Harlow and £1 for each of the two women in the almshouses. Life-sized marble statues of Julian and Alexander can be seen in the wall of the south transept of St. Mary and St. Hugh.
The Queen's Head*. Early 16th century - the pub sign says it dates from 1515). The window sashes are 18th century. A long wall jetty with framed bressumer survives on the street frontage.
32 Churchgate Street*. House ca. 1700 with 19th shop window under the second dormer from the north.
42 - 44 Churchgate Street*. An 18th century range.
Churchgate Hotel*. Formerly The Chantry, founded ca. 1600.
|Table of Contents|
|Harlow's History and Geography|
|Introduction & The Origins of Harlow||The Structure of Harlow||Industry|
|Second World War Airfields|
|Walks Around Harlow|
|Market Street & St. John's Walk||Fore Street, Park Hill, London & Station Roads||High Street|
|Harlow New Town|
|The Origins of the New Town Programme||Important Developments in Harlow New Town|
|References & Acknowledgements|