Thesis Writing Retreat
The Writing Centre and School of Graduate Studies are pleased to offer an intensive one-week program designed to help graduate students make significant progress on or complete their theses. Memorial’s Thesis Writing Retreat offers a dedicated time and space free from distractions to help students write and provides them with a supportive, encouraging, and interdisciplinary intellectual community.
August 26 - 30, 2019
9 am to 4:30 pm for 5 days
To participate, you must be registered as a master or doctoral student at Memorial University, and you must be engaged in writing your thesis as opposed to any shorter, course-related text.
The Writing Centre, Room SN2053
- Students are encouraged to meet with their supervisors prior to the retreat to establish goals.
- Students should arrive with all material needed. This includes laptops, books, articles, notes, etc.
- Students should establish personal goals and measure achievements at the start and end of each day.
- Students should arrive by 9 am daily.
- Students should bring their own laptop (fully charged).
- Light refreshments are provided (coffee, tea, pastries, etc.). You are also welcome to bring your own snacks.
- The retreat is a full, five-day commitment. If you are unsure of whether you will be able to attend all sessions, please consider releasing your spot to someone who can commit themselves to the entire retreat.
- The retreat is intended to give students the opportunity to generate text, not to perfect it.
- No criticisms (including self-criticism)
- Use of the internet is ok; however, use of social media is discouraged
- Cell phone use is discouraged, except during the lunch break
- Ensure a quiet space for everyone (avoid loud conversations during writing periods)
- Be punctual and prepared to write each day of the retreat
- Students must provide their own laptops, fully charged is recommended
Important: Tutoring sessions will not be offered during the retreat. The retreat is not designed to provide intensive writing assistance, or to help students improve their academic English. It is a space and time to come together to write independently, as part of a supportive group of cross-disciplinary peers. Staff will be available to answer specific questions and offer encouragement to students.
Email firstname.lastname@example.org with your name, student number, degree, academic unit, and a brief description outlining your current writing stage and the reason you would like to participate in the Writing Retreat by August 9, 2019.