Virtual Thesis Writing Retreat
The Writing Centre and School of Graduate Studies are pleased to offer an intensive one-week program designed to help graduate students make significant progress on or complete their theses. Memorial’s Thesis Writing Retreat offers a dedicated time and space free from distractions to help students write and provides them with a supportive, encouraging, and interdisciplinary intellectual community.
August 17-21, 2020
9 am to 4:30 pm for 5 days
To participate, you must be registered as a master or doctoral student at Memorial University, and you must be engaged in writing your thesis as opposed to any shorter, course-related text.
The sessions will be held through Webex. The link will be sent out to registrants prior to the retreat.
- Students are encouraged to establish writing goals with their supervisors prior to the retreat.
- Students must be prepared with all materials needed. This includes laptops, books, articles, notes, etc.
- Students should establish personal goals and measure achievements at the start and end of each day.
- Students should log on in enough time to be present for 9 am.
- The retreat is a full, five-day commitment. If you are unsure of whether you will be able to attend all sessions, please consider releasing your spot to someone who can commit themselves to the entire retreat.
- The retreat is intended to give students the opportunity to generate text, not to perfect it.
- No criticisms (including self-criticism)
- Cell phone use is discouraged, except during the breaks.
- Ensure a quiet space for everyone. Participants must remain muted during writing periods.
- Be punctual and prepared to write each day of the retreat
- During writing periods, participants may stay on or off camera.
Important: Tutoring sessions will not be offered during the retreat. The retreat is not designed to provide intensive writing assistance, or to help students improve their academic English. It is a space and time to come together to write independently, as part of a supportive group of cross-disciplinary peers. Staff will be available to answer specific questions and offer encouragement to students.
Email email@example.com with your name, student number, degree, academic unit, and a brief description outlining your current writing stage and the reason you would like to participate in the Writing Retreat by August 13, 2020.