Pure mathematics involves the study of the core areas of mathematics such as abstract algebra, number theory, geometry, and real and complex analysis.
Math & Stats at Memorial
We employ undergraduate students in the Math Help Centre and to mark course assignments. Some of our students qualify for summer research employment funded by the National Science and Engineering Research Council.
We offer major and honours programs leading to either a B.A. or B.Sc. in pure mathematics. Joint programs are also offered in:
- computer science/pure mathematics (B.Sc. major and honours)
- economics/pure mathematics (B.Sc. major)
- pure mathematics/statistics (B.Sc. honours)
- Investment banker
- Personal finance adviser
- Risk analyst
- Risk management specialist
- Software specialist
Note: some of these careers may call for supplementary education or preparation in the form of graduate studies, experiential learning or professional courses and exams.
Faculty of Science
Mathematics and Statistics
Bachelor of Arts or Bachelor of Science
Fall, winter and spring semesters
Applications are considered on a rolling basis. Students are encouraged to apply by:
- March 1 for fall admission
- Oct. 1 for winter admission
- Feb. 1 for spring admission