Holiday Break Resources & Information
Contents on this Page
- Office Operations
- New Students
- Current Students
- Mental Health and Well-Being
- Social Media Channels
The Internationalization Office is closed for the holidays from Thursday, December 24 through Monday, January 4th, 2021. We will be available to resume service delivery on January 5th at 9:00 am.
Staff will continue to monitor the firstname.lastname@example.org email address and phone line (1-709-864-8895) throughout the break, prioritizing emergency situations that may arise. Students, faculty, and staff are encouraged to use this email and phone number to reach our staff members during the holiday break, as individual email response time will be delayed.
(*Students, if you call this phone number please leave your student ID on the message so we can email you back.)
Arrivals & Greeting
New students should refer to our arrivals site, as our processes and procedures for arrival and self-isolation have been modified during the COVID-19 pandemic.
New international students who have completed the Arrivals and Self-Isolation form, who have a confirmed room on campus, and have booked their travel, will have been assigned an airport greeter to meet them at the airport (St. John’s (Newfoundland & Labrador, Canada) International Airport – Code YYT) upon arrival.
If you are not aware of your greeter, or have questions, please email email@example.com
Orientation for new students will take place January 3-11 and a list of activities and events can be found at the Welcome Weeks Website.
Registration with the Internationalization Office
All new students must attend at one information session in January 2021. The schedule can be found on our website at the bottom of the page.
For any other information about your arrival please visit: www.mun.ca/international/students/
3. Current Students
Questions about immigration:
• Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) Call Centre at 1-888-242-2100 or visit their website https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship.html.
Questions about your Foreign Health insurance:
• Information about your foreign health insurance coverage, call GuardMe at 1-877-873-8447 or see www.guard.me.
Landlord Tenant Issues:
• For inquiries about your landlord tenant issue, see www.gs.gov.nl.ca/landlord/index.html .
For those students travelling with their families, the Internationalization Office has a Family Advisor to help support you throughout your time at Memorial. Please refer to our website for information about our family program. Alternatively, you can email Camila, the family advisor at firstname.lastname@example.org
Since classes will take place primarily online (remotely), on-campus housing options will be limited. You can contact email@example.com to inquire about options available after your mandatory self-isolation upon returning to Newfoundland & Labrador. To learn about all the steps necessary to return to the province, please visit our arrivals site.
Students staying at The Signal Hill Campus who have made arrangements can call either of the duty numbers listed for the other buildings. There are no staff on the Signal Hill Campus over the holidays.
It is important that you review the provincial guidelines for self-isolation as you make plans to self-isolate off campus. For information on, please refer to the Government of Newfoundland and Labrador's page on preparing a self-isolation plan.
Review off campus housing information: https://www.mun.ca/international/students/offcampus.php
Accommodations with a preferred price for MUN students/affiliates:
• The Comfort Hotel is offering a rate, $50 per night + tax; Breakfast is included - firstname.lastname@example.org
• Super 8 Motel in St. John’s is offering single occupancy rooms at a weekly rate of $79/night (plus taxes and fees, including wifi and a bagged breakfast each morning). contact email@example.com & ensure you notify the accommodations that you are MUN students and looking to self-isolate.
• The Sandman whose rate is $89/night and has small kitchenettes
• An AirBnB can also offer short term or longer term rentals.
Memorial’s Student Wellness and Counselling Centre is open, and staff are providing services to students via telephone and virtual sessions. Non-urgent counselling, physician and nurse appointments can be made by contacting the centre.
Students with urgent mental health concerns should avail of the following community based services:
- 24-hour mental health crisis line: (709) 737-4668 (local) or 1-888-737-4668 (province-wide).
- Mobile Crisis Response Team: 1-888-737-4668 St. John’s Region.
- 24 hour Walk-in Psychiatric Assessment Unit at the Waterford Hospital Site on Waterford Bridge Road: (709) 777-3021 or (709) 777-3022.
- Health Sciences Emergency Department on Columbus Drive in St. John’s: (709) 777-6335.