Innovation at Memorial
Innovation starts small. An idea takes a lot of individual care to grow (and plenty of late nights and coffee for the innovator behind it.) However, innovation success can’t happen in a vacuum; healthy innovation systems can provide the conditions for more ideas, more action and more innovation.
Memorial University is a key part of this system in Newfoundland and Labrador. Memorial boasts extensive and growing expertise and capacity for innovation of all types.
World-leading technology development and commercialization organizations
- C-Core, described as “a vital asset in the NL economy and research infrastructure”.
- The Fisheries and Marine Institute, a Centre of Excellence in advanced fisheries and marine technology encompassing education and training, applied research, and technology transfer.
- The Genesis Centre, an award-winning business incubator for technology start-ups.
A growing range of social innovation organizations
- The Memorial Centre for Entrepreneurship is a starting point for any Memorial student, faculty or staff member interested in entrepreneurship.
- The Centre for Social Enterprise creates opportunities for students who are driven, action-oriented and committed to social justice.
- Enactus Memorial, a student-led organization that run projects that impact the economy by improving the standard of living and quality of life in Newfoundland and Labrador.
Faculties and schools with cutting edge research and teaching programs
State-of-the-art facilities and equipment, supportive knowledge mobilization and public engagement systems, and ever-evolving plans and policies.
Memorial's Innovation Initiative
The MUN Innovation Initiative is Memorial’s plan to evolve and support innovation supports across the university to ensure they best support and empower students, faculty, staff, and external partners to create a better world through innovation:
GOAL 1: INVENT
- Enhance the suite of innovation supports across Memorial University to better support and empower students, faculty, staff, and external partners to create provincial, regional, and national prosperity through innovation.
GOAL 2: INTERACT
- Build and strengthen relationships with external partners to raise awareness of opportunities to work together.
GOAL 3: INTEGRATE
- Coordinate the suite of innovation supports across Memorial University to better support and empower students, faculty, and staff to create provincial, regional, and national prosperity through innovation.
GOAL 4: INFORM
- Build the brand, and tell the stories of innovation at Memorial, and emphasize the importance of universities for provincial, regional, and national prosperity.