University Radiation Safety Committee (URSC)
The University has established and shall maintain a URSC comprising of members of the University community knowledgeable in the safe use of radioactive materials or other sources of ionizing radiation and other ancillary workers who through their work may come into contact with radioactive materials and other sources of ionizing radiation. This committee will be two-tiered, with Tier I being responsible for policy oversight and Tier II being responsible for permit approvals.
Tier I Committee will have the following mandate:
1. Formulate and implement policies, regulations and procedures governing the use of radioactive materials and radiation;
2. Provide advice on the safe use of radioactive materials and sources of ionizing radiation including x-rays in all areas under the control of the University;
3. Review reports of all inspections, incidents, unusual occurrences and relevant materials presented by the RSO. Make any recommendations deemed appropriate based on the information supplied in these reports.
4. Review all audits and reports regarding radiation safety sent to the University by the CNSC or other competent federal, provincial or municipal authorities. Make any recommendations deemed appropriate based on the information supplied in these audits or reports.
5. Respond to radiation safety issues that require immediate consultation.
6. Report annually to the Vice-president (Administration and Finance).
Tier II Committee will have the following mandate:
1. Approve or revoke permits as required under the Nuclear Safety and Control Act.
2. Approve requests to commission/decommission radioisotope labs
3. Monitor and approve the Radiation Safety Program.
4. Monitor compliance of external and internal dose monitoring.