Institutional Biosafety Committee (IBC)
The University has established and shall maintain an IBC composed of members of the University community whose experience and training enable them to work with the biohazardous agents defined under MUN's Biosafety Program. The IBC reports to the University Health and Safety Committee (UHSC) and has the following mandate:
- Formulate and implement policies and procedures governing the use of biohazardous agents/materials.
- Provide advice on the safe use and disposal of biohazardous materials/agents in all areas under the control of the University.
- Review reports of all inspections, audits, incidents and other relevant materials presented by the BSO. Make any recommendations deemed appropriate based on the information supplied in these reports.
- Respond to biosafety issues that require immediate consultation.
- Report annually to the UHSC.
- Approve or revoke internal biosafety certificates.
- Monitor and approve revisions to the Biological Safety Manual.
- Act in accordance with the committees Terms of Reference (TOR).
The IBC is responsible for development of all policy related to biosafety at MUN including, but not limited to:
- Biosafety certificate review/approval.
- Import/export of biohazardous materials.
- Safety training.
- Biohazardous waste disposal.
- Environmental protection.
The IBC approves the use of all biohazardous materials at the University through the review/approval of biosafety certificate applications. The IBC is also responsible for monitoring the implementation of its policy as per the committee’s TOR.
Upcoming IBC meetings
Nov 28, 2017
Jan 30, 2017
Mar 27, 2017
May 29, 2017
July 31, 2017