Can we use films in the classroom?

A reminder to instructors about films in the classroom. Before you show a film in your classroom, please remember that permission must be obtained from the copyright owner unless you are sure that performance rights have already been purchased. The Copyright Office will get the permission for you at no charge (for university courses only). All you have to do is fill out the form at For more information, contact Nancy Simmons, copyright officer, at 864-2089 or


General Counsel

230 Elizabeth Ave, St. John's, NL, CANADA, A1B 3X9

Postal Address: P.O. Box 4200, St. John's, NL, CANADA, A1C 5S7

Tel: (709) 864-8000