Professional Development Information
The Critical Thinking Approach for Better Problem Solving
Develop critical thinking skills to make better decisions and rationally apply information to get the best possible results.
Critical thinking relates to our thought processes, how we make decisions, how we use our judgment, and how we take action to solve problems. Successful problem-solvers tend to use the same type of thinking processes to identify and implement the solutions to their problems. This process works for any kind of problem - large or small. In this seminar you will learn the critical thinking skills to ask the right questions, evaluate the information, and apply problem solving techniques to make informed decisions.
This is a core module in the Public Sector Leadership and Management Development Program.
- Learn how to use critical thinking techniques to improve decision making
- Learn practical problem definition tools
- Develop skills for analyzing and evaluating information
- See information or circumstances from a different perspective
- Learn strategies for ensuring the best chance of making correct decisions
- Introduce the critical thinking approach to solving problems in the organization
- Employ strategies to enhance organizational problem solving and decision making
- Develop management competencies which help minimize mistakes
Who Should Attend
Managers, supervisors and professionals who want to develop or enhance their critical thinking skills to make better decisions.
Improve your critical thinking skills through professional development in:
- Understanding the components of critical thinking
- When to utilize non-linear versus logical thinking
- Evaluating information using critical thinking skills
- The types of information to gather and key questions to ask in problem solving
- Identifying the importance of defining a problem correctly using four different problem definition tools
- Evaluating potential solutions against criteria, including cost/benefit analysis and group voting
- How to identify the tasks and resources necessary to implement solutions
Continuing Education Contact Hours: 7