Professional Development Information
Preventing Workplace Harassment and Violence - NEW TOPIC!
Workplace harassment and violence can have disastrous outcomes for office environments. Learn to reduce its occurrence through prevention and understanding policies.
Workplace harassment and violence is something that can occur in any workplace, stemming from various job-related and interpersonal issues. Whatever the reason, harassment and violence in the workplace is costly to people and organizations, and toxic. In addition to human rights legislation, Newfoundland and Labrador, employers are legally required to have policies and training in place to prevent workplace harassment and violence as a part of organizational health and safety legislation.
While being aware of what constitutes workplace harassment and violence is important, creating a culture of behaviour that minimizes and prevents it over time is critical. Participants will learn terms associated with workplace harassment and violence, recognize the many factors that contribute to its occurrence and learn the key skills to create a positive work environment that is less susceptible to it. This two-day, highly interactive workshop features scenario based practice combined with personal reflection and group discussion.
Key Learning Outcomes: Workplace Mistreatment - Harassment Awareness
- Define what does and does not constitute workplace mistreatment, harassment, bullying, and ostracism.
- Evaluate implications for targets, witnesses, and instigators of workplace mistreatment.
- Identify employee rights and responsibilities.
- Examine the behaviors and skills that, if incorporated into workplace behaviors, reduce or preclude the occurrence of workplace mistreatment.
Key Learning Outcomes: Stress Management
- Realize the impact of stress on health and safety in the workplace.
- Develop awareness of the lifestyle choices that impact well-being, and productivity and how these choices can initiate workplace harassment and violence.
- Apply stress management strategies to mitigate the negative outcomes of workplace harassment and violence.
- Recognize the different types of stressors and their triggers and how to prevent and remove them.
Key Learning Outcomes: Communications and Conflict Management
- Review the role of supportive communication in the context of workplace harassment and violence.
- Learn the principles of supportive communication.
- Identify ones own skill level and understanding of supportive communication and conflict management styles.
- Review the types of conflict, the conflict escalation cycle and the outcome of conflict in the workplace
- Recognize the sources of conflict and which ones are more likely to escalate to workplace mistreatment
- Apply conflict resolution strategies in a constructive way to prevent conflict escalation
- Practice effective communication, listening and creative problem solving skills to reduce the occurrence of conflict.