Mastering Business Essentials Program
Inquire below for future program dates.
Drive your career forward while delivering critical value to your organization. The Mastering Business Essentials Program focuses on the most critical "need-to-know" elements in business, allowing participants to sharpen their business acumen and make strategic decisions in today's complex business environment. Participants learn how to see the bigger picture by gaining knowledge in key disciplines including accounting, finance, economics, operations/processes, marketing, human resources, and project management and learning how to apply them to increase productivity and profitability. This program delivers learning in key subject areas and relates it to practical, real-world examples and exercises delivering tools and techniques to apply immediately in the workplace.
Each course is delivered by subject matter experts and practitioners who provide current and practical content combined with real-world experiences and learning activities through the case study method to solidify participant knowledge and practice.
Key Learning Outcomes
- Build a solid foundation in the key functional areas of business
- Recognize the connections between different functional areas
- Know how to assess a business from multiple angles to reach more informed decisions
- Develop your ability to spot opportunities and manage challenges
- Identify the ways in which corporate strategy connects to every business function
- Learn how to promote cooperation and action between various areas of the business
- Gain hands-on practice applying the material through a simulated project woven throughout the program
- Deepen your experience with peer networking and collaboration
Strategy and Environmental Analysis
Learn how a clearly defined strategy instills purpose throughout organization and informs a value proposition that brings true benefit to customers.
- Define purpose, objectives and benefits of strategy
- Identify critical components of the strategic planning process
- Increase awareness of the internal and external factors that guide and impact strategic thinking
- Discuss sources of competitive advantage and barriers to entry
- Explore contemporary models of strategic planning
- Consider the implications of strategic decision-making
Strategic Human Resources
Learn how an effective strategic human resource plan aligns with corporate strategy and develops culture and competencies for organizational growth.
- Explore the fundamental principles of strategic human resources and strategic human resource planning
- Discuss the benefits of engaging human resource professionals in strategic planning
- Identify essential legislative requirements in the employment relationship
- Explore best practices for attracting, acquiring and developing top talent
- Review the strategic role of training and development within an organization
- Outline the importance of goal setting and building confidence in employee development
- Discuss the benefits of succession planning
Fundamentals of Project Management
Learn how a well-defined project can lead to a more efficient and effective implementation of your strategic plan.
- Review project definition and success criteria
- Identify common project challenges
- Assess the nature of a project and its environment
- Develop a project plan and link it to a sound business case
- Practice thinking like a project manager
Business Processes and Policies
Learn how well-managed processes impact an organization's bottom-line and create value for its customers.
- Define business processes and business process management (BPM)
- Describe the business benefits of well-designed business processes
- Identify, model, analyze, redesign and monitor business processes
- Explain how to manage the implementation of a redesigned or new business process
- Identify ways to increase efficiency and lower costs
- Review concepts in capacity and resource management
Accounting and Financial Reporting
Learn how to interpret and analyze financial statements in order to assess the financial position of an organization.
- Discuss the role of accounting and the purpose of financial reporting
- Identify the main users of financial statements, their information needs, and the desirable characteristics of financial information required to meet those needs
- Review and analyze the components of financial statements, including the income statement, balance sheet, statement of retained earnings and cash flow statement
- Describe how financial statements interact with each other
- Describe the regulatory frameworks for financial accounting, reporting and assurance and appraise their effectiveness in ensuring the integrity of financial statements
Gain a clearer understanding of business finance basics, including financial planning and budgeting, resource management, and risk management.
- Recognize the connection between organizational strategy and financial performance
- Review concepts in modern investment and finance, including: asset valuation, capital budgeting, risk management and performance assessment
- Interpret the information contained in the balance sheet, income statement, and statement of cash flows to gauge financial health and performance
- Develop budgets/forecasts for the business
- Review a firm's financing options and understand the implications of these choices for the value of the firm
- Identify financial models used in decision making and appraise a finance project based on investment decision rules
Learn how organizations recognise strategic market opportunities and create value for customers by differentiating themselves from the competition.
- Explore the role of marketing in the value creation process and how products, services and strategic branding determine your marketing mix
- Identify essential marketing concepts such as: buyer behaviour, segmentation, targeting, and positioning
- Discuss contemporary marketing strategies that lead to organizational growth
- Explain the importance of socially responsible marketing decisions
- Examine the components of an effective strategic marketing plan
Strategic Communications Planning
Learn how a successful communications plan connects your organization with employees, partners, and clients in clear, meaningful ways.
- Identify the building blocks of a successful communications strategy:
- identify and analyze target audiences
- create useful key messages
- identify appropriate spokespeople
- explore strategic considerations
- create the tactical plan
- measure for success
- Examine how corporate communications functions can be structured within organizations or what resources can be sourced externally
- Create a communications strategy to support business objectives and build on lessons learned from the previous topics
Working as a team, participants will apply their learning as they assess the program case study from a number of different, but always integrated, angles.
- Review all areas covered to date
- Demonstrate understanding of how all functional areas are integrated
- Develop a presentation
The Mastering Business Essentials Program is designed to benefit those who are:
- Looking to transition into a managerial position
- Professional people who have little background in business but who quickly need to get up to speed on strategic business practices
- Entrepreneurs who would like to develop a well-rounded business acumen
- Technical professionals looking to broaden their skills and advance in their organization
- Business people who are seeking a refresher in business knowledge and skills
Program Case Study
The Mastering Business Essentials Program is delivered using the case study method. Prior to program start, participants will be assigned to a team and given a case to review
- Participants will be placed on teams for the duration of the program and work together on a case study, exposing participants to real business dilemmas and decisions
- Participants will gain the ability to assess business problems quickly while considering the broader organizational, industry, and societal context
- Participants' capacity for critical analysis, judgment, decision-making, and action will be strengthened through the case study analysis
- All participants are required to collaborate with their teams in class assignments related to the case study
- Each assignment will be used to tie the program together and serve as the background work for the final day of the program; Project Integration
Continuing Education Contact Hours: 63
Upon completion of all modules, participants will be issued a digital badge and framed certificate.