Space Plannig and Administration
Space Standards & Guidelines
7.0 APPENDIX: A - SPACE OCCUPIED BY RETAIRED FACULTY
MEMORIAL UNIVERSITY OF NEWFOUNDLAND
PROCEDURES GOVERNING SPACE FOR RETIRING FACULTY
March 29, 2002
- Office or laboratory space may, depending upon the needs of the university, be provided for a defined period to retired professors who require it in order to continue their scholarly or creative work on behalf of Memorial University.
- The space granted to retired faculty may be shared and shall not adversely affect the quantity or quality of space provided for? non-retired faculty members.
- The? Director of Facilities Management and Vice-President (Academic), in consultation with the dean or director, shall be responsible for deciding upon requests for space from retired faculty members in accordance with these procedures.
- All assignments of space to retired faculty shall be? reviewed annually.
- Administrative heads will notify retiring professors one year in advance of retirement of their need to formally vacate their offices and laboratories.
- A retiring professor may at this time apply to the dean or
director for continued use of space, describing in this request
??a) the space desired
??b) planned use of the space
??c) departmental support services expected
??d) relevant activities carried out during the previous five years
The dean or director will forward this request with his or her recommendation to the Director of Facilities Management.
The Director of Facilities Management and Vice-Presiden (Academic) will determine the future use of the retiring professor’s vacated space. If ongoing accommodation has been requested, a decision will be based upon the availability of space together with the applicant’s contribution to the University, the likelihood of continuing significant research, and the availability of space.
Note: ?These Procedures complement those stated in the memo from the Vice-President (Academic) of February 11, 2002 on Honorary Research Professors.