Food, Stories and Songs of this Place: Celebrating 50 Years of Folklore Education in NL
TARGET: All alumni and friends of folklore
DATE: Saturday, June 1, 2019
LOCATION: School of Music, Memorial University
DESCRIPTION: The Department of Folklore, in partnership with MUN Folklore and Language Archive, the Folklore Studies Association of Canada and the St. John's Storytelling Festival, are celebrating 50 years of folklore education in NL and we want you to celebrate with us. Join us on June 1 at the School of Music for Food, Stories and Songs of This Place: Celebrating 50 Years of Folklore Education in NL. Check out below for more details.
- RECEPTION, 7pm - 8pm - there will be a standing reception with NL food, beverages, music and familiar faces with 1 or 2 possible folklore exhibits to view.
- STORYTELLING CIRCLE, 8pm - 9:30pm - there will be 3-4 storytellers sharing some great tales with a connection to NL with the host for the evening being Dale Jarvis. The complete line-up includes:
- Sophie Angnatok - stories, throat signing and/or drumming
- Anita Best - ballads, stories, recitations
- Tama Fost - stories, throat singing
- Kelly Russell - fiddle, accordion, stories, recitation
- Dale Jarvis - host for the evening
We hope you can join us to reconnect with familiar faces, enjoy some fabulous food, hear some great stories and create new memories.
Please help share the message to all former students, faculty, staff and friends of folklore.
COST: $25 (+4.5% service fee for a total of $26.23). Cash bar.
GIVE BACK (Optional): For the Folk 50 celebrations we want to give everyone who has been a part of the Folklore community an opportunity to give back and support the Mary A. Griffiths Memorial Award for Folklore Field Research. Since 1990 the MUN Folklore Society has sponsored The Mary A. Griffiths Memorial Award for Folklore Field Research as a memorial to Mary Griffiths (1967-1990), a student of folklore from Ship Harbour, Placentia Bay. Mary was very active in the Folklore Society and had planned to begin her graduate studies in Folklore at MUN. For more information on this award, please click here. There will be an optional donation field included on the above noted event registration form where you can give. Thank you for your consideration!
CONTACT: Any questions or suggestions can be directed to email@example.com.
SPECIAL THANKS TO:
- Faculty of Humanities and Social Sciences
- Memorial's Scholarship in Arts Program