Please Enter a Search Term

Visiting Graduate Students

All Visiting Graduate Students are required to register for GRAD 9900 through a Course Change form upon arrival, and for every semester they are at Memorial. Upon arrival, all Visiting Graduate Students must submit a completed Course Change form (which they may obtain through their departmental general office) to the School of Graduate Studies in order to register.

Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC) considers paid and unpaid research placements as work. Visiting Graduate Students who are neither Canadian citizens nor permanent residents of Canada need authorization to work in Canada and may be required to obtain a work permit to engage in research activities at Memorial. Visiting Graduate Students are required to contact the nearest Canadian visa office in their area to determine the required permits and/or visa which must be obtained to enrol at Memorial University. For further information visit the CIC website at

If you have been accepted as a Visiting Graduate Student and require a work permit, please contact the Office of Faculty Relations for further instructions:



Visiting Graduate Students are exempt from paying graduate tuition fees. If a Visiting Graduate Student wishes to register for a course while at Memorial University, he/she must pay at the undergraduate per course rate as outlined in the University Calendar. A student enrolled in a graduate program at another university who wishes to complete courses at Memorial University to transfer back to their home institution are not Visiting Graduate Students. Such individuals should apply for admission to Memorial University as an undecided undergraduate student through the Office of the Registrar.

Registration in GRAD 9900 will provide Visiting Graduate Students with access to necessary University resources. It will also result in a charge for health insurance only for all such students. Depending on immigration status, Visiting Graduate Students will be charged foreign health insurance or Graduate Students’ Union (GSU) health insurance. To opt out of health insurance, Visiting Graduate Students must either visit the GSU or the Internationalization Office as soon they register for GRAD 9900.

To opt into the GSU’s dental insurance plan, you may contact the GSU. To opt into the recreation fee plan (and gain access to the Field House facilities), please contact the Cashier’s Office.