Undergraduate courses in Religious Studies are designed for students who wish to study religion as an academic discipline. They are open to all students on the same basis as are other courses in the Faculty of Arts, and unless otherwise specified, they do not have prerequisites. We offer:
- basic courses at the 1000 level which introduce students to the academic study of religion.
- introductory courses at the 1000 level in Mandarin Chinese and Biblical Hebrew. These courses also fulfil the language requirement in the Faculty of Arts.
- introductory courses at the 2000 level, which are open to any student interested in the subject. These courses are designed to introduce students to the world's religious traditions, and to major topics and issues in the academic study of religion.
- courses at the 3000 and 4000 level, which deal with these subjects in greater depth and assume some previous knowledge. Although most Religious Studies courses do not have prerequisites, students who register in a 3000 or 4000 level course are encouraged to make sure that they have adequate preparation for that course, preferably by having completed a first or second year course in the field.
We offer a Bachelor's degree within the Faculty of Arts with a Major or Minor in Religious Studies. Students may also undertake an Honours or Joint Honours program that includes Religious Studies as a major subject. Students planning to do further work in Religious Studies should bear in mind that an Honours degree is the normal requirement for admission to Graduate Schools. Students working toward a Major, Honours, or Joint Honours degree in Religious Studies should plan their program in consultation with a representative of the Department.
Major in Religious Studies
I. A minimum of 36 credit hours in courses in Religious Studies is required for a major degree. Students must complete at least one course from each of the three following groups:
- 2013, 2050, 2051, 2130, 2140, 2330, 2340, 3000, 3031, 3060, 3091, 3150, 3200, 3210, 3251, 3265, 3272, 3276, 3305, 3310, 3315, 3320, 3510, 3535, 3560, 3591, 3900, 3901.
- 2400, 2410, 2415, 2420, 2425, 2430, 3401, 3411, 3412, 3415, 3431, 3432.
- 2610, 2810, 2811, 2812, 2820, 2830, 2850, 3640, 3650, 3680, 3800, 3810, 3811, 3812, 3820, 3830, 3831, 3850, 3860
II. At least 18 credit hours of course work must be at the 3000 level or above.
III. With the exception of the language courses (1040, 1041, 1050, 1051), no more than two 1000-level courses can be counted as credit towards a major.
Minor in Religious Studies
A minimum of 24 credit hours in courses in Religious Studies is required for a Minor degree. These must include at least 9 credit hours in courses at the 3000 level or above. With the exception of the language courses (1040, 1041, 1050, 1051), no more than two 1000-level courses can be counted as credit towards a minor.
Honours in Religious Studies
Students intending to do an Honours degree of Bachelor of Arts with a Major in Religious Studies must complete at least 60 credit hours in Religious Studies courses. Students must also complete Religious Studies 4998 (a comprehensive examination in the area of their specialization) or 4999 (Honours Essay). In order to be eligible to receive an Honours degree, students must comply with the General Regulations for the Honours Degree. Candidates for the Honours Degree should arrange their program at the earliest opportunity, normally before the beginning of their fifth semester at the University.
Candidates for Honours degrees may also be required to do courses in a further subject area. Candidates will normally be required to have a reading knowledge of a language basic to their area of specialization. In such cases these courses may be substituted for six of the 60 credit hours required for an Honours degree in Religious Studies. In each case the program of studies leading to an Honours degree will be determined in consultation with the Head of the Department of Religious Studies, or delegate, keeping in mind the needs and interests of the individual candidate.
Such a program may be arranged in consultation with the Head of the Department of Religious Studies and the Head of the other Department concerned.
If you are interested in further detail about these degrees, please contact the Department in A-5007 or at 864-8166.
For more information about Bachelor of Arts degree programs, see the Memorial University Calender for this current year, as made available by the Registrar's Office.