Please Enter a Search Term

Arriving from outside Newfoundland and Labrador or from outside Canada

Immigration Services: All foreign nationals who accept employment at Memorial University must possess a work permit issued by Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC) before the start of employment. Once you receive your official letter of appointment from the Office of the Provost and Vice-President (Academic), the Manager of Academic Recruitment Support and Immigration will submit a request for a Labour Market Impact Assessment (LMIA) to Service Canada. A positive LMIA opinion is required from Service Canada in order to obtain a work permit from CIC. On receipt of a positive LMIA you are required to apply to the Canadian visa office in your area for a work permit. The Office of Faculty Relations will provide you with a letter outlining the immigration process once your employment offer has been issued. 

It is your responsibility to maintain your immigration status during your appointment. You are strongly encouraged to apply for permanent residency as soon as possible after taking up your appointment. For further information on permanent residency refer to the Canadian Immigration and Citizenship website and the Newfoundland and Labrador Provincial Nominee Program. For further information on permanent residency options, please contact the Manager of Academic Recruitment, Support and Immigration at See also Spousal Work Permits and Student Permits in the documents section.

Relocation Expenses: Memorial University covers certain relocation expenses for members of faculty. For the university's policy on moving household goods, you should consult the policy relating to Travel Relocation and Removal. New members of faculty, after receiving their letter of appointment from the the Vice-President Academic, need to make arrangements with the Department of Finance. Contact Scott Murphy at or 709-864-2597.

Finding a Home

  1. Realty Services: The university does not engage the services of one particular real estate company. The major real estate firms all have offices here in St. John's, and are listed in the yellow pages of the local directory. To view a list of available housing or to search for a real estate agent contact Homes Plus and the Multiple Listing Service (MLS).
  2. The Canadian Mortgage and Housing Corporation’s website provides an up-to-date mortgage calculator and home-buying guide, taking you through the steps of making an offer, financing, mortgages, establishing a credit rating, as well as answering other frequently asked questions:
  3. Settling in St. John’s: You may wish to consult the City of St. John’s website for information on neighbourhoods, cost of living, city services, utility companies as well as information on housing prices, and property taxes. Information on rental accommodation may be found through the local paper The Telegram and through real estate agents.
  4. Property insurance: Whether renting or buying, it is considered advisable to have either tenant or homeowner insurance to protect property against theft, fire or natural disaster. Again the yellow pages of the telephone directory or the local Yellow Pages website will yield a variety of choices.
  5. Landlord/Tenant:The Department of Government Services, Newfoundland & Labrador provides information on rental agreements, residential tenancies, termination notices and Frequently Asked Questions about renting accommodations.

Importing a Vehicle into Canada: Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA) provides information on importing a vehicle into Canada. If you are planning to drive your vehicle, a car bought and used in the US, from the United States to Canada, please read this section to avoid unexpected surprises at border crossing points. If you plan to import a car or vehicle into Canada, it has to comply with Canadian import laws and must meet the requirements of the Canadian Border Services Agency, Transport Canada and the Canadian Food Inspection Agency. You will need to check with Canada's Registrar of Vehicles to see that your car qualifies for importation. If it does you must register it with the RIV program, at a cost of $195.00 plus tax. You may also have to pay any customs and import assessments that may apply. You then have 45 days to make any necessary changes and have it inspected. You are responsible for all costs incurred. Please check the website listed above before attempting to import your vehicle, either from the US or any other foreign country.

US Border Information: There is a 24 hour Border Information Service line. Toll free in Canada: 1-800-461-9999. From outside Canada: 204-983-3500 or 506-636-5064. Long distance charges will apply.

Importing goods into Canada: If you are moving to Canada from another country, you do not have to pay duty or tax on possessions that you bring with you. If goods arrive by mail the Canadian Border Service Agency (CBSA) may mistakenly assess duty and tax on them. To avoid this problem, or to take the proper steps if this should happen, please consult this information on importing by mail provided by CBSA.

Bringing animals into Canada: Information on documentation needed for household pets (and other animals) as well as how to protect pets when travelling is provided by the Canadian Food Inspection Agency. They have a specific section on dogs and cats that you may find helpful.

General Information on St. John’s and on the Province of Newfoundland and Labrador: For information on St. John’s please consult City of St. John's website. For information about the sights and sounds of the province visit this tourism website, an invaluable guide on what to see in Newfoundland and Labrador.