Geological Survey of Newfoundland and Labrador
Department of Natural Resources
P.O. Box 8700
St. John's, NL
Tel: (709) 729-4014
Fax: (709) 729-4270
E mail: email@example.com
I am a senior geologist with the Geological Survey of Newfoundland and Labrador, and an adjunct Professor in the Geography Department since 1993. I studied at the University of Edinburgh, and the University of Alberta, and have worked in the field in many parts of Canada, including the Yukon, the Arctic Islands, Alberta, British Columbia, and Newfoundland and Labrador.
Research and Teaching Interests
- Environmental geology and geochemistry
- Surficial mapping, glacial geology, stratigraphy and sedimentology.
- Coastal geology and sea level history.
- Geological hazards.
- Communicating environmental geoscience
- Liverman D.G.E., Catto, N.R. and Batterson M.J. 2006 (in press): Geological Hazards in St. John's. Newfoundland and Labrador Studies.
- Evans S.G., Cruden D.M., Bobrowsky, P.T., Guthrie R.H., Keegan T.R. and Liverman D.G.E. 2005. Landslide risk assessment in Canada; a review of recent developments. Proceedings 2005 International Conference on Landslide Risk Management, Balkema Publishers, Holland.
- Stethem, C. Jamieson B, Schaerer P, Liverman, D.G.E., Germain, D. and Walker S. 2003. Snow Avalanche Hazard in Canada – a Review. Natural Hazards, 28: 487-515.
- Bell, T., Batterson, M.J., Liverman, D.G.E. and Shaw J. 2003. A new late-glacial sea-level record for St. George’s Bay, Newfoundland, Canadian Journal of Earth Sciences, 40: 1053-1070.
- Berger A.R and Liverman, D.G.E. (Editors) 2002. Geoindicators for Ecosystem monitoring in parks and protected areas. Parks Canada – Review Reports in Ecosystem Science, Report 018, 65 pages.
- Bell, T.; Liverman, D.G.E., Batterson, M.J. and Sheppard, K. 2002. Late Wisconsinan stratigraphy and chronology of southern St. George's Bay, Newfoundland: a re-appraisal: Reply. Canadian Journal of Earth Sciences, 39: 1843-1845.
- Bell, T, Liverman D.G.E., Sheppard, K, and Batterson MJ. 2001. Sedimentology and stratigraphy of southern St. George’s Bay. Canadian Journal of Earth Sciences, 38: 851-869.
- Liverman D.G.E., Batterson M.J., Taylor D., and Ryan J. 2001. Geological hazards and disasters in Newfoundland. Canadian Geotechnical Journal, 38: 936-956.
- Batterson M.J., and Liverman D.G.E. 2001. The contrasting styles of glacial dispersal in Newfoundland and Labrador: methods and case studies. Geological Society Special Publication No. 185 “Drift Exploration in glaciated terrain”. Edited by MB McClenaghan, PT Bobrowsky, GEM Hall and SJ Cook. 267-285.
- Sheppard K, Bell T, and Liverman D.G.E. 2000. Stratigraphy and age of Quaternary sediments exposed along the coast in southern St. George’s Bay, western Newfoundland. Quaternary International. 68-71: 275-283.
- Liverman D., Catto N., Batterson M., Mackenzie C., Munro-Stasiuk M., Scott S., and Sommerville A. 2000. Evidence of Late Glacial permafrost in Newfoundland. Quaternary International, 68-71(1): 163-174.
- Catto, N.R., Liverman D.G.E. and Bobrowsky P.T. (editors) 2000. Quaternary International, Volume 68.
- Forbes, D. and Liverman, D.G.E. 1996. Geological indicators in the coastal zone. In Berger, A. R and W.J. Iams, W.J. (eds.) Geoindicators, 175-192.
- Catto, N.R., Liverman D.G.E., Bobrowsky, P.T. and Rutter, N.W. 1996. Laurentide, Cordilleran, and montane glaciation in the western Peace River - Grande Prairie region, Alberta and British Columbia, Canada. Quaternary International, 32: 21-32.