Chesley W. Sanger
Department of Geography
Memorial University of Newfoundland
St. John's, NL
Office: SN 2024
Tel: (709) 864-8992
Fax: (709) 864-3119
Home: P.O. Box 478
Tel. (709) 682-4887
E mail: email@example.com
- Historical geography and marine resources
- Scottish Arctic whale fishery, 1750-1801.
- Newfoundland seal fishery, 19th and 20th centuries.
- Newfoundland shore based whaling.
- Northern and Scottish whaling.
- “Newfoundland Involvement in Early 20th Century Shore-Station Whaling in Japan” in Sakurai, H. ed., The Last Harpooner: The End of Old Whaling and the Introduction of American and Norwegian Whaling, Taiji, Japan, 2010, 52-60 (with A.B.Dickinson).
- “Scottish Northern Whaling and Sealing,” in Coull, J.R., Fenton, A. and Veitch, K. eds., Boats, Fishing and the Sea, Vol. 4, Scottish Life and Society: A compendium of Scottish Ethnology, Edinburgh, 2008, 389-458.
- “Prologue to Scottish Domination of Northern Whaling: The Role of the French Revolutionary War (1793-1801),” International Journal of Maritime History, 20, No. 1, 2008, 96-114.
- “Changing Technologies and personnel Patterns in 19th Century Newfoundland Sealing,” Newfoundland Quarterly, 101, No. 2, 2008, 50-3.
- “Sail Versus Steam: Post-1863 Technology and Spatial Adaptation in the Newfoundland Seal Fishery,’ Newfoundland and Labrador Studies, 23, No. 2, 2008, 139-69.
- “Scottish over-Wintering Whaling at Cumberland Gulf, Baffin Island: 1853-90,” International Journal of Maritime History, 19, No. 2, 2007, 161-99.
- Dickinson, A.B. and C.W. Sanger. 2005. Twentieth-Century Shore-Station Whaling in Newfoundland and Labrador, Montreal: McGill-Queen's University Press, 264pp.
- Sanger, C.W. and D.R. Dawe. 2005. "Index" O.M. Meehan, The Canadian Hydrographic Service from the Times of its Inception in 1883 to the End of the Second World War (published in The Northern Mariner/Le Marin du Nord, Vol. 14, Nos 1 and 2), The Northern Mariner/Le Marin du Nord, Vol. 15, No.2, 299-357.
- Sanger, C.W. and A.B. Dickinson. 2005. Commercial Whaling in Newfoundland and Labrador: An Historical Overview, Newfoundland Quaterly, Vol. 98, No2, 2005, pp. 28-31.
- Sanger, C.W. 2005. The Origins and Development of Shore-Based Commcercial Whaling at Spitsbergen during the 17th Century: A Resource Utilization Assessment, The Northern Mariner/Le Marin du Nord, Vo. 15, No.3, 39-52.
- Sanger, C.W. 2003 'Oil is an Indispensable Necessity of Life': The Impact of Oscillating Oil and Baleen (Bone) Prices on Cyclical Variations in the Scale and Scope of Northern Commercial Whaling, 1600-1900, International Journal of Maritime History, Vol. 15, No.2, 147-158.
- Sanger, D.S. and C.W. Sanger. 2002. The Sanger Family in Newfoundland: Timothy and Violet - Roots and Offshoots. St. John's, Newfoundland and Labrador.
- Dickinson A.B. and C.W. Sanger. 2000. Norwegian Whaling in Newfoundland: The Aquaforte Station and the Ellefsen family, 1902-1908. International Maritime Economic History Association, Research in Maritime History, No.20.
- Sanger, C.W. 2000. The Impact of American Revolutionary War on Scottish Northern Whaling: The Dunbar Factor, Northern Scotland, Vol. 20, 71-86.
- Sanger, C.W. and A.B. Dickinson. 2000. Newfoundland and Labrador Shore-Station whaling: Over expansion and decline, 1905-1917. The Northern Mariner, 10(4): 13-38.
- Sanger, C.W. 2000. The Newfoundland and Labrador Commercial Seal Fishery. Newfoundland and Labrador Heritage Website, http://www.heritage.nf.ca/.
- Sanger, C.W. and A.B. Dickinson. 1999. Newfoundland and Labrador Shore-Station whaling: The final demise, 1951-1972. The Northern Mariner, 9(3): 39-52.
- Sanger, C.W. and A.B. Dickinson. 1999. Newfoundland and Labrador Shore-Station whaling: The third major phase, 1937-1951. International Journal of Maritime History, 11(1): 101-116.
- Sanger, C.W. and A.B. Dickinson. 1995. Renewal of Newfoundland and Labrador Shore-Station whaling, 1918-1936. International Journal of Maritime History, 7 (1): 83-103.
- Sanger, C.W. 1994. We are now in a splendid position for whales: Environmental factors affecting 19th century whaling in Baffin Bay, The Mariner's Mirror, 80 (2): 1159-1177.
- Sanger, C.W. 1994. Dodging in the bight, a good place for a whale: Environmental factors affecting 18th and 19th century whaling in Davis Strait. The Northern Mariner, 4 (1): 17-33.
- Sanger, C.W. and A.B. Dickinson. 1993. Modern Shore-Station whaling in Newfoundland and Labrador: The peak season, 1904. International Journal of Maritime History. 5: 127-154.