Office of General Counsel
COPYRIGHT AT MEMORIAL
As one of Atlantic Canada's largest universities with a student and employee population of over 20,000, Memorial is a community in its own right.
CASL COMPLIANCE INFORMATION SHEET
Advice on Canada's new "Anti-Spam" Legislation
And like any town, we require legal advice and guidance.
The Office of General Counsel was established to ensure the efficient delivery of quality legal services, and to strategically manage the University's legal affairs.
Our roles and responsibilities are:
- To provide strategic legal advice as well as a full-range of legal services directly to the University, its senior administration and the Board of Regents;
- To identify and to recommend procedures and practices to protect the University from undue liability and to assist with risk assessment and control;
- To provide legal advice and services directly to faculties and administrative units when requested by the deans or administrative heads of unit;
- To retain, instruct and oversee external legal counsel on behalf of the University;
- To manage the costs of legal services in an effective and cost efficient manner in order to maximize the value of the University’s expenditures and to minimize the University’s exposure to risk;
- To provide seminars and other educational-oriented initiatives on legal issues affecting the University;
- To participate in special initiatives and sensitive projects on an as-needed basis.