Canada Research Chair in Natural Resource Sustainability and Community Development
Department of Geography
Memorial University of Newfoundland
St. John's, NL
Tel: (709) 864-3157
Fax: (709) 864-3119
E mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Sustainable Communities & Regions
Globalization, Economy & Resources
Health & Well-being
Principal Investigator (PI)
Project name: Too Big To Ignore: Global Partnership for Small-Scale Fisheries Research
Sources: Social Sciences and Humanities Research Council of Canada (SSHRC)
Duration: 6 years (March 2012 – February 2018)
Collaborators: 62 scientists and 15 organizations from 27 countries
Project name: Canadian Capture Fisheries Research Network
Source: National Science and Engineering Research Council
Duration: 5 years (April 2011 to March 2016)
PI: Rob Stephenson (Fisheries and Oceans Canada)
Project name: The governability analysis of marine protected areas, Phase II
Source: Ministry of Science and Innovation, Spain
Duration: 3 years (September 2014 to August 2017)
PI: Jose Pascual-Fernandez (U. of La Laguna, Spain)
B.Sc. (1984) Marine Science, Chulalongkorn University, Bangkok, Thailand
M.Sc. (1987) Fisheries Management and Economics, Michigan State University, East Lansing, USA
M.Sc. (1990) Fisheries Biology, University of North Wales, Bangor, UK (First class)
Ph.D. (1998) Resource Management and Environmental Studies, University of British Columbia, Vancouver, Canada
Selected Publications (Last Six Years)
- Song, A. M., and Chuenpagdee, R. Eliciting values and principles of fishery stakeholders in South Korea: A methodological exploration. Society & Natural Resources 28 (10): 1075-1091.
- Bundy, A., Chuenpagdee, R., Cooley, S. R., Defeo, O., Glaeser, B., Guillotreau, P., Isaacs, M., Mitsutaku, M. and Perry, I. A decision support tool for response to global change in marine systems: the IMBER-ADApT framework. Fish and Fisheries DOI: 10.1111/faf.12110
- Armah, F.A., Luginaah, I., Hambati, H., Chuenpagdee, R. and Campbell, G. Assessing barriers to adaptation to climate change in coastal Tanzania: Does where you live matter? Population and Environment DOI: 10.1007/s11111-015-0232-9
- Song, A.M., and Chuenpagdee, R. 2014. Exploring stakeholders' images of coastal fisheries: A case study from South Korea. Ocean & Coastal Management 100:10-19.
- Khan, A. S. and Chuenpagdee, R. 2013. An interactive governance and fish chain approach to fisheries rebuilding: a case study of the Northern Gulf cod in eastern Canada. AMBIO DOI 10.1007/s13280-013-0446-y.
- Islam, M. M. and Chuenpagdee, R. 2013. Negotiating risk and poverty in the Sundarbans mangrove fishing communities of Bangladesh. MAST 12:7.
- Song, A.M., Chuenpagdee, R., and Jentoft, S. 2013.Values, images, and principles: What they represent and how they may improve fisheries governance. Marine Policy 40: 167-175.
- Chuenpagdee, R., Pascual-Fernandez, J.J., Szelianszky, E., Alegret, J.L., Fraga, J. and Jentoft, S. 2013. Marine protected areas: Re-thinking their inception. Marine Policy 39: 234-240.
- Shin, Y.J., Bundy, A., Shannon, L.J., Blanchard, J.L., Chuenpagdee, R., Coll, M., Knight, B., Lynam, C., Piet, G., Richardson, A.J. and the IndiSeas Working Group. 2012. Global in scope and regionally rich: an IndiSeas workshop helps shape the future of marine ecosystem indicators. Review of Fish Biology and Fisheries DOI 10.1007/s11160-012-9252-z
- Chuenpagdee, R. and Song, A.M. 2012. Institutional thinking in fisheries governance: broadening perspectives. Current Opinion in Environmental Sustainability 4: 309-315.
- Thiammueang, D., Chuenpagdee, R and Juntarashote, K. 2012. The “Crab Bank” Project: Lessons from the voluntary fishery conservation initiative in Phetchaburi Province, Thailand. Kasetsart Journal 46(3): 427-439.
- Chan, K.M.A., Guerry, A.D., Balvanera, P., Klain, S., Satterfield, T., Basurto, X., Bostrom, A. Chuenpagdee, R., Gould, R., Halpern, B.S., Hannahs, N., Levine, J., Norton, B., Ruckelshaus, M., Russell, R., Tam, J., and Woodside, U. 2012. Where are cultural and social in ecosystem services? A framework for constructive engagement. BioScience 62(8): 744-756.
- Pita, C., Chuenpagdee, R., and Pierce, G. 2012. Participatory issues in fisheries governance in Europe. Management of Environmental Quality: An International Journal 23 (4): 347-361.
- Song, A.M., and Chuenpagdee, R. 2011. Conservation principle: A normative imperative in addressing illegal fishing in Lake Malawi. MAST 10(1): 5-30.
- Chuenpagdee, R. 2011. Interactive governance for marine conservation: an illustration. Bulletin of Marine Science 87(2): 197-211.
- Jentoft, S., Chuenpagdee, R., and Pascual-Fernandez, J. 2011. What are MPAs for: On goal formation and displacement. Ocean & Coastal Management 54: 75-83.
- Song, A.M., and Chuenpagdee, R. 2010. Operationalizing governability: A case study of a Lake Malawi fishery. Fish and Fisheries 11: 235-249.
- Jentoft, S., Chuenpagdee, R., Bundy, A., and Mahon, R. 2010. Pyramids and roses: Alternative images for the governance of fisheries systems. Marine Policy 34: 1315-1321.
- Jentoft, S. and Chuenpagdee, R. (editors). 2015. Interactive Governance for Small-Scale Fisheries: Global Reflections. Springer, Switzerland.
- Bavinck, M., Chuenpagdee, R., Jentoft, S. and Kooiman, J. (editors). 2013. Governability in Fisheries: Theory and Applications. Springer, Dordrecht.
- Chuenpagdee, R. (editor). 2011. Contemporary Visions for World Small-Scale Fisheries. Eburon.