Geography, Memorial University of Newfoundland
St. John's, NL
Office: SN 2012A
Tel: (709) 864-8412
Fax: (709) 864-3119
Climate & Environmental Change
Health & Well-being
I have lived in St. John’s since I joined Memorial University in July, 1989. My research and teaching interests include natural hazards and risk assessment; coastal landforms, erosion, and sea level change; and the impacts of climate and weather events on marine communities, transportation, infrastructure, fisheries, agriculture, and tourism. My work has included projects and investigations in environments in Europe, Russia, the Dominican Republic, Argentina, South Korea, and throughout Canada. I have written two textbooks, one on Natural Hazards in Canada, and another focused on Canadian landforms and associated hazards.
B. Sc. Hons., Geological Sciences, Queen's University, Kingston, Ontario (April 1978)
M. Sc., Geology, University of Alberta, Edmonton, Alberta (April 1981)
Ph.D., Geology, University of Alberta, Edmonton, Alberta (February 1986)
NSERC Postdoc. Fellowship, University of Stockholm, Sweden (1986-1987)
- 2020 Slaymaker O, Catto NR, Korivan D. The Geomorphological Landscapes of Eastern Canada. Springer.
- 2020 Catto, NR. Labrador and the Northern Peninsula of Newfoundland: Foreshore and Flanking Geomorphology. Ch 7 in The Geomorphological Landscapes of Eastern Canada.
- 2020 Catto, NR. The Avalon of Newfoundland: Geomorphology, People, and Landscape. Ch 15 in The Geomorphological Landscapes of Eastern Canada.
- 2020 Catto, NR. Atlantic Canada’s Tidal Coastlines: Geomorphology and Multiple Resources. Ch 18 in The Geomorphological Landscapes of Eastern Canada.
- 2020 Slaymaker O, Catto NR, Kovanen DJ. Protected Areas in eastern Canada. Ch 25 in The Geomorphological Landscapes of Eastern Canada.
- 2020 Slaymaker O, Mulrennan ME, Catto NR. Implications of the Anthropocene epoch for the discipline of geomorphology. Ch 26 in The Geomorphological Landscapes of Eastern Canada.
- 2019 Catto, NR. Shoreline Classification and Coastal Erosion, southern and central Labrador. World Wildlife Fund Canada, open report.
- 2017 Slaymaker O, Catto NR, Kovanen D. Geomorphological landscapes and Geoparks. In: Slaymaker O, ed., Geomorphological landscapes of Western Canada, ch. 29. Springer, Berlin.
- 2016 Borodin A, Markova E, Catto NR. The Quaternary of the Urals: Global trends and Pan-European Quaternary records. Quaternary International 420.
- 2016 Faust D, del Ormo R, Catto NR. Progress in Quaternary Archive Studies in the Western Mediterranean. Quaternary International 407.
- 2016 Jary Z, Markovic S, Moroczek P, Catto NR. Kukla Loessfest: contributions in honour of George Kukla. Quaternary International 399.
- 2016 Tasic NN, Penezic K, Markovic S, Catto NR. Vinca: Garden of Eden. Quaternary International 429A, 1
- 2016 Yi S, Catto, NR. Palaeoenvironmental Studies in the Korean Peninsula and Adjacent Geographic Areas IV. Quaternary International, 392.
- 2015 Catto, NR. Geomorphology: Landscapes we live in. Oxford University Press, Canada.
- 2015 Catto, NR. Quaternary Research Across the Americas. Quaternary International, 377.
- 2015 Catto, NR. Quaternary Studies from New Zealand to Southern Asia. Quaternary International, 374.